What have you crowdfunded?

Thats been my experience.

One thing that may make Kickstarterā€™s success rate higher is that they require a working prototype before a product can go on the site, while Indiegogo does not. That probably means you will see more cases of people failing to take the laws of physics into account (like Solar Roadways) or outright scams on Indiegogo.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got one on Indiegogo and even though it seems pretty simple, itā€™s behind schedule and updates are few and far between.

1 Like

I remember that laser razor thing that got canceled on kickstarter because they faked the prototype. I mean, not faked in the sense of cgi, but the prototype wasnā€™t representative of what the product was supposed to be. And before they got canceled, they had loads of backers.

Itā€™s not a fair assessment, but I automatically think someone funding on indiegogo is doing it because they canā€™t pass the more stringent requirements of kickstarter, which makes me more skeptical and suspicious. I know there are other reasons why someone chooses one over the other, but itā€™s always in the back of my mind.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s where Iā€™m heading. Probably no more Indiegogo projects - Iā€™m looking to lose about $2500 on a couple of projects that look like theyā€™re going south.

yeah I was in on the skarp laser razor debacle. I feel for the people who followed them over to indiegogo

I pretty much avoid indie gogo, just because if the project doesnā€™t get enough funding to be successful I can think of better ways to throw away money. Kickstarter requires the minimum be met. so you can judge a bit of waht you are getign into by how accurate you think the goal is.

1 Like

Not a terrible many failed projects on KS yet. Some I expect to under deliver or fail soon.

Iā€™m here because someone didnā€™t own up to their failure very well and just ran from their project and deleted their account. But one of the backers posted a referral link here. So even a failure/scam can have good results.

Skarp! Thatā€™s what it was. I didnā€™t realize they were still crowdfunding. So do the creators on indiegogo get the money regardless of what happens? That seems silly. If you didnā€™t raise enough money to do x, then raising 40% of what you need for x wonā€™t make it happenā€¦

1 Like

I was in on that too, but I thought they got canned on Kickstarter for not having a working prototype.

Yep.

Indiegogo allows ā€œflexibleā€ funding, i.e. they get whatever people contribute. But not all projects go that way. There seem to be more semi-charitable projects there; with exceptions, it seems kickstarter is much more of a pre-order shop at this point.

(And yeah, even on kickstarter I often think ā€œgeez, that could not possibly work without repealing physical lawsā€ but usually on projects that are quite clearly not going to be funded.)

1 Like

I visit the GF forums multiple times most days, yet Iā€™m still finding threads that I havenā€™t seen before.

Here is my Kickstarter activity: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1159572927

Itā€™s mostly board games with a few other things thrown in. Only one has failed to fund, and I really only backed that one because my friend was involved with the company. Most have delivered.

There are two game companies, Gamelyn Games and Roxley Games where I will pretty much auto-back anything that they decide to Kickstart. Both have been phenomenal in their communication and delivery. The latest Roxley is delayed a bit, but only because they didnā€™t anticipate the run being so large, and so they only ordered one set of molds for the plasticā€¦ the molds wore out and they had to delay in order for new molds to be produced and delivered.

One of the worst was the rollable 4-sided dice, but he had to go out of pocket and delivered as promised. In the end, sadly, Iā€™m not happy with the dice, but they are interesting all the same. Another was the Mana Pool Podcast. He had no idea what he was doing, and every week on the podcast it was another sob story about the troubles he had (believe it or not an issue he had was that he couldnā€™t do the printing of the labels himself, so there was this whole process of getting the names/addresses to his friend who would print the labels. Anyway, it took a little over a year for him to deliver on that KS. The last bad one I want to point out is the Earbuds Podcast documentary. It funded in February of 2014, and was supposed to be delivered by December of 2014. I only got the download and it will finally be delivered in November of this year. So over two years, since funding and nearly two years late on delivery.

Iā€™ve also backed a couple of things through other sources than KS. One of my favorite bands, Save Ferris, is finally making a new EP, so I backed that through a music crowdfunding site. I backed a video game through a site called Fig.

I also pre-ordered (post crowdfunding but pre-manufacturing) the M3D Micro 3D printer. I got it a few months after it was promised and it did not deliver as promised. It was supposed to be a 3D printer that you didnā€™t have to do anything in terms of settings, calibration, etcā€¦ It was supposed to print both ABS and PLA flawlessly. I got two ABS prints successfully (a D6 and a Meeple), and those same two prints are about the only thing that I could print reliably. Anything bigger than about an inch would typically fail or have flaws. I ended up selling it, getting nearly what I paid for it, including the filament!

3 Likes

Woohooo my Trinus 3d printer has arrived! Backed it almost a year ago, merry Christmas for me. :slight_smile: Now only if I could laser cut an enclosureā€¦ :wink:

www.trinus3d.com Now a bit of assembly and Iā€™m ready to produce some failed prints!

7 Likes

Nice! Please keep us posted on how you like it.

Yes please. :slight_smile: There are a few smallish 3D printers in this price range Iā€™m looking at.

still waiting on mine. so like everyone else said let us know how it goes

Okay, so I finally had time to assemble the Trinus. Instructions are super clear, if you ever done Ikea or Lego, youā€™re good.

The only small issue I had is that the PCB housing at the back is about 2mm shorter than the gap between the two Y gantries, so I could only screw in one side. Itā€™s rigid enough, so Iā€™m not too bothered.

After the assembly the first print took about 5min to start, which included choosing a file from Thingiverse.

Itā€™ humming away happily now.

15 Likes

Wow, that looks so cool. I would have thought it would have cost much more too. Have fun this Christmas. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iap43M40F80&feature=em-subs_digest

Sound familiar?

Yeah, sadly the Lily is no more. Not particularly upset though, as I have seen far more about drones since backing that one long ago, and am no longer impressed by what the Lily offered. But I never backed out because I hadnā€™t bothered to pick up any other drone yet anyhow.

But yeahā€¦ there wasnā€™t collision avoidance developed, so most of the intended applications would not have worked. And the simple ā€œFollow meā€ should be able to be added to most drones without much issue.