What have you crowdfunded?

Will you get your money back?

That is what they claim so far. If the money that ran out was the Venture Capital, then it is likely. But if they had dipped in to the preorder cash itā€™ll mean some go without or all get only partial.

Not sure which happened in this case.

I just saw an add on Facebook today for the FormBoxā€¦ Looks kinda cool. Not sure what Iā€™d use it for, but seems like something cool especially if you pair it with a 3d printer: https://www.mayku.me/

1 Like

I donā€™t recognize the name, but do recognize the design. Then again, this is THE design you would make any vacuum former in pretty much, so maybe there are quite a few out there. Have seen them at both if the last Maker Faires I attended.

If the vacuum was built in to the system, and it was nice and quiet, I could see buying one for maybe $300. But $430, and you have to provide your own vacuum still?

I would rather just follow these steps and have ten of them, while needing to provide my own oven.

4 Likes

Canā€™t believe I never saw this post before. Crowdfunding is new for me so just the Glowforge and a Morpheus Delta printer so far.

1 Like

Iā€™m in that one with you

Looks like the current pre-order is a smaller build volume (6Lx3.5Wx6T) than they projected in the Kickstarter campaign. Iā€™m tempted to pull the trigger but struggling with what Iā€™d do with that small a volume. I use FDM for eNable hands, Iā€™m not sure if I could do a whole one with this (Iā€™d have to make a whole bunch of build plates) due to the size of the gauntlet piece.

Thinking about it though :slight_smile:

It is a relatively small print size but for the price and technology, I couldnā€™t resist

Doesnā€™t the final object reach a bad point over time due to the UV sensitivity of the resin?

I donā€™t know for this specific printer, but when I skimmed the link it sounded like they use normal SLA resins. I have worked with many of those.

It varies per resin, but since they are UV reactive, with sufficient exposure to daylight or other UV sources, the material will start to yellow and grow brittle.

A simple layer of any UV blocking coating cuts this off. Paint of any sort, or some clear nail polish, even a layer of CA glue.

The clear resin is the worst, but even that has held up for well over a year in a room with decent window availability (the only piece of clear I have which regularly is exposed to UV and has been around for a while). Any resin with coloring or other additives will hold up better, since the additive is likely not UV reactive, and will absorb/block some UV over time.

2 Likes