1/4” Cedar planks

Has anyone tried to cut and engrave through 1/4” cedar wall planks? Success? Settings?
LMK

3 Likes

I use them a lot. They’re soft but look great when you get the settings disked in.

3 Likes

Settings?

Welcome!

You might be able to find some by searching this category and, @ovm.steve might respond but, you would really be better served learning to test for your own settings. Materials from different sources vary. Materials from the same source vary. Machines vary some.

This post from @evansd2 lays out a solid methodology for figuring out settings:

4 Likes

I don’t have any “one” setting for most material. There are a lot of variables in cutting and engraving; for wood there is species, grain, desired effect, thickness of material, ply or solid, surface smoothness, whether or not I masked… some of these factors change within the piece.

I always do a few test pieces, but this post that @evermorian shared with you is the procedure I followed to arrive at my starting point.

This setting was for seasoned cedar (from pallets) with a smooth sanded surface. The focus was purposely set wrong to reduce laser lines and soften the edges.

2 Likes