13" Ruler (Apologies if one of these has already been posted)

Given the fresh snowfall last night here in the pacific northwest tossed this together so my wife and kids don’t have to use their wooden ruler.

Designed for a 12" x 12" piece of acrylic, hash marks every 1/4" (after all it is for measuring snow depth), 13" long. Thought about putting on festive snowflakes, but wanted to get it in the snow before it starts to melt.
13inchRuler

34 Likes

Thanks for the share!! Do you typically leave this in the snow or just measure it?

3 Likes

Depends on how much is on the ground, and how much more we might get. For a quick measure once it has stopped snowing I will just measure, if we are going to get more I will often leave it out.

Additionally my daughter took a white crayon and filled in all of the etched and scored parts, much easier to see on a piece of dark red acrylic. Next time I will paint it before peeling the tape off.

Not sure how well it would work out, but a spike could be added to the base so that it could be staked in the grass rather than needing to be leaned up against something when leaving it outside.

7 Likes

Thanks! The spike was something i was thinking might be helpful. We don’t get tons of snow but it would be nice to have it where i can see it and know how much we have! Thanks again for the share:-)

3 Likes

I posted these a while back…

6 Likes

Way cool! I can check out my front yard before the snow melts.

3 Likes

I love that on one of these you put the metric on top! That is so helpful for a Brit living in North America!

5 Likes

Very cool, I need this.

1 Like

As I am not metric-phobic I have added a version that is in centimeters. The stick is the same size, and for both you could cut the one, then turn it over, ignore the cut layer, and have a dual version. Thanks for the reminder that the community is global!

If you need something detailed I would definitely go with @rbtdanforth’s version.

33cmRuler

9 Likes

Thanks for doing that! Honestly I’m good with this ruler being in inches. It’s just when I’m trying to use a ruler for measuring on paper and stuff the metric is always on the bottom on NA rulers which somehow makes it difficult!

I may just make both of these anyway especially seeing as you went to the effort :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Rulers are a handy gift to have. Thank you!

2 Likes

I dunno, I think you’re gonna need a bigger stick (cue the JAWS music)

3 Likes

I should make one to see how much the grass has grown :grin:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: :rofl: What’s grass again? Just kidding … expecting our first snow mixture followed by 2-3" later today.

2 Likes

Thank you! Expecting our first snowfall of the season later today (Happy New Years!) so will leave this page up to remind me to cut one out of acrylic before it finishes!

2 Likes

Was planning on cutting that ruler first thing when I got up today. I think I need a ruler that measures is millimeters. :rofl: :snowboarder: :snowflake:

I’ll still get it cut out — going to use the thickest acrylic I have so hopefully it won’t snap out in the cold in a real snowfall. Happy New Years!

5 Likes

I think I need to make one for the lawn guy. He cuts it tall and wants to cut it again a week later, even in mid-winter. I think I need to make one for what I want it cut to and what it needs to reach before cutting again. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

We had someone mow for us last year, he was shocked when we asked for him to cut it at the next-to-highest setting. The grass is much lusher and keeps miscellaneous weeds from having access.

The only time we go a little shorter is the last mow of the season.

2 Likes

@$75 a time for a postage stamp lawn, that we don’t even use, I would prefer shorter.

1 Like

I also understand that! :slight_smile:

1 Like