3D Printed Rounded Corner Box

My thing with layers is I am a messy gluer and even with alignment pins, it’s a mess. Maybe if I did more of them it would go faster.

5 Likes

just means more sanding (and more sandpaper).

4 Likes

I often use a small paintbrush to apply glue to my layers, and wipe whatever small squeeze-out up as I go. Some of my sword handles have 90+ layers, you use only as much glue as you need, and there’s not a ton to clean as you go.

5 Likes

That’s beautiful - and the transparency of the edges of the 3D printed corners almost makes it look like you carefully poured resin into each corner and let it settle!

2 Likes

Can’t help but laugh…my instant read of that word was lawyers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

That last one was the first thought that came to my mind. That only works with hardwood, not plywood, right? (I think so but only feeling about 90% sure. lol)

I’ve done it with MDF, so plywood should work. The trick is finding the right depth and spacing for the bend cuts.

2 Likes

I bet it would work with wood-core ply like BB. The tricky part is the water method for softening the wood - most plywoods don’t react well to water, especially mdf core (like proofgrade).

Prefinished woods won’t like it either.
(like proofgrade)

1 Like

Or half living hinge… :skull:

5 Likes

Oooo, I really like this. I’m always up for anything that replaces finger joint, of which I’m not a fan. Thanks for the STL.

1 Like

Looks great. I may need a 3d printer :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe with some wood based filament!

5 Likes

I’ll try it with CFP purebond! I have so many things going on. I’m going to have to start planning out my time better. lol

2 Likes

How cool is that!

2 Likes

It looks great! Perfect for a cookie jar no mouse would try to get in :smirk:

2 Likes

Purebond is mdf-core too. Generally, if MDF gets wet it puffs up and is a mess. I’m not saying you shouldn’t try it, just beware that the water soak trick to soften the wood might not go super well.

I’ll be curious to see how it goes!

1 Like

You might notice that the photos I posted are Loews oak plywood, I went through many to pick few but soaked them overnight in hand sanitizer before trying to bend it. I also engraved 3+ layers deep so there was a lot of ability to give as you can see. Trying that with MDF would give you a pile of sawdust, but most all wood ~1/4" plywood is worth the try.

2 Likes

Since it’s not a sharp angle, you could always veneer the curve. Maybe steam the veneer a bit first to facilitate the bending.

2 Likes

Love it! Thank you so much for the file!

1 Like

Oooh, I love that you combined tools! Now I need a 3D printer! Probably shouldn’t say that loud enough for my hubby to hear. :face_with_hand_over_mouth::shushing_face:

2 Likes