3rd party low-cost air filters

Finally received my GF that I ordered in 2015 (I live in Norway). However, still no air filter. And they don’t ship the compact filter internationally (figures).

So I wonder if anyone has tried any small low-cost filters similar to the compact filter. Something that ships to Norway/internationally (or to China as I can have it picked up there).

I found this one one aliexpress: KNOKOO FES150.

Anyone had any experience with this one or something similar?

Note: According to support the Glowforge airflow is roughly 150 CFM (~255 m³/h), so it should have to be able to at least match that (variable speed preferred).

2 Likes

I think (but wouldn’t bet the farm on it) that is the volume of air the filter fan moves when on its lowest (or low) setting. I think most people have to turn it up beyond that lowest setting even initially (someone will correct me if I’m wrong).

I do not know if these are shipped to Norway, but there must be something available for cleaning out smoke or fumes on a emergency basis, or an ongoing basis of a business that produces a lot of dust or fumes.

I’ve seen people mention it, and I really like the size of it, but unfortunately they don’t ship that one to Norway. Seems Amazon isn’t a good option.

It also costs more than twice that of the KNOKOO (before international shipping), so that’s something I’m taking into consideration as well.

The fairly large market remains and I was suggesting that somebody in Europe must be filling that market. I presumed shipment from the US would be a killer, but from Germany or Sweden not so much

I think (but wouldn’t bet the farm on it) that is the volume of air the filter fan moves when on its lowest (or low) setting. I think most people have to turn it up beyond that lowest setting even initially (someone will correct me if I’m wrong).

Thanks for the heads up. I will look to see if I can find something that goes at least to 200 CFM just in case.

The compact filter is over 200CFM at the lowest setting with a fresh cartridge. I wouldn’t recommend letting the CFM drop too much below that. Remember that as air filters clog the CFM will drop, and once you start getting towards 150CFM you’ll notice smell and smoke backup during intense jobs on the machine.

Thanks for the heads up. The 150 CFM quoted by support is clearly not enough then. :slight_smile:

This one looks interesting:
https://de.trotec.com/en/products-services/machines-highperformance/air-purification/air-cleaner-tac-750-e/
(Unfortunately the website is broken, and adding to cart doesn’t work).

I feel like 150 is the minimum before you have problems. Most materials work fine with 150, but if you’re doing something like a long 1/4in wood cut then it may not be. They used to say it was 200CFM which I believe is about what the fans push out of the machine.

I’ve never really felt like the industrial air cleaners like those would work. The air filters for lasers typically have between 15 and 50lbs of charcoal to filter all the compounds put out by vaporizing materials. Most of those machines, if they have a charcoal filter at all, is just a fine layer of it on the filter meant to reduce lingering odors.