Acetal plastic

Fantastic!
Nice work on the belt buckle!
I am very happy to see this, since it is a great material to make molds for casting resin, and letterpress printing plates, and (as you mention) mechanical parts.

I have a whole box of acetal I have been dying to play with.
Maybe it is time to bug @dan about materials again.
Of course I will need a Glowforge first (hint, hint). :wink:

I wonder how well it engraves?

13 Likes

7 Likes

Well that’s pretty sweet! :relaxed:

1 Like

Ah. I thought that looked like a belt buckle I have (mine is a grip6 carbon fiber). :smiling_face: They were a Kickstarter or Indiegogo I backed last year. Nice in Delrin. I thought about doing it in walnut or cherry but haven’t sourced webbing I like yet.

1 Like

So happy seeing some branching out of materials! Wood and acrylic are great but are not really what I expect to use the most, so new materials are always welcome. And the buckle looks great!

4 Likes

Really want to get my hands on some acetal, expensive stuff, to make the, or a, planetary gear mechanism. I’d make acetal ring gears to sit on on wooden hubs, should work.

5 Likes

This is great–thanks for sharing! I’ve been eager to work with delrin for all the reasons @jkopel listed, plus a lot more. Great to see that it cuts so well on the Forge.

5 Likes

I like how the edges of the cut are more rounded and softer looking.

5 Likes

sweet! cutting boards are also made of delrin and come in a lot of colors. you can find em dirt cheap all over the place. well done!

4 Likes

As far as I know, most cutting boards are ultra high molecular weight (UHMW) plastics but are not acetal (Delrin is a brand name for a specific formulation). Acetal is much harder and tougher then UHMW, and might even turn the edge of a sharp knife.

Acetal is expensive but worth it for some applications.

10 Likes

Good to know! I just looked up how to determine what plastic cutting boards are made of and everyone suggests burning a piece and making a decision based on the odor! Even though some of them are pretty toxic when burned haha. Someone said if you file off a little bit of a delrin board it smells like spoiled milk. What a fun compositional test that’ll be!

6 Likes

For anyone curious, I find eBay to be a good resource for raw materials (which is nice because it sucks for almost everything else). For instance, I buy almost all my aluminum from there (“Stoner Metals”, I think) and there are also plenty of people selling delrin (and acetal). I got a white 2’ x 1’, sheet, ~1/8" thick for around $14, IIRC (which is roughly 3 times the price of acrylic).

I haven’t cut it yet though. A little slower than acrylic, you say? I’ll keep that in mind, TY!

5 Likes

:heart_eyes:

the webbing I like the best so far is from Country Brook, heavy nylon like this The only hard part is most webbing supplies don’t have a lot in 1.5" for selection. About half as many colors is what I’ve seen.

1 Like

especially in the middle of the aisle at target

6 Likes

A 4’ × 8’ 1/8(3mm) cast acrylic should be around 60$ if you can get it directly from a producer.

2 Likes

Very nice! Great post.
I just have one question, how does the buckle secure the belt tension? (some of us need it now :wink:)

3 Likes

You slip the free end over the left (or right) edge and into the slot. Suck in the gut and reach behind the buckle and pull it across. It stays due to the friction and pressure :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Nice work and very stylish.:smile:

1 Like

Soooooooo cool!