Acrylic Game Pieces

I knew it reminded me of something…

1 Like

No worries, it was a great suggestion! :slight_smile:

The two layer material is engravers plastic and I believe the frog was cut from plexiglass which comes in opaque and translucent. Two very different things…

A bit of a springboard, but how would you “scorch” or “burn” two sided acrylic - or any acrylic really? If using the two sided acrylic - either front side or back side color like at Inventables: (https://goo.gl/eb5NJJ), you can only have one side in relief. I am fine with having only one side be two colors, but I want to know if it is possible to “burn” the other side so that the area lasered turns black?

For example - if you had game pieces that you wanted to have the type of color relief/contrast that we see here, but on the back (assuming it was a light color) could you ''burn" text?

In short, can you burn/durably mark/burn acrylic?

@nunzioc ? Anyone have any ideas?

My limited experience with acrylic is that it does not have burn marks. It tends to melt rather than scorch.

1 Like

Polycarbonate (Lexan) is pretty similar to acrylic, and it can burn. But it bubbles up a lot around the burn location.

So… possibly there is some setting you could find which burns acrylic, but most likely even if you did find such a setting, it would blister more than discolor.

If you want black in the etching in Acrylic, you can use something like this.
Laserbits Pro color-fill

1 Like

Thanks! That is very helpful. I will give this a try.

Agreed - I’ve never seen it burn at all… but you can super easily leave the protective paper on and toss some paint into the engraved area, then peel the protective paper off. Nick did this to great effect: Laser Thursday and Hello! -- Leather & Acrylic Wallet & Keychains

and alternatively, you can engrave into the acrylic and then glue some other thinner acrylic cut pieces inside… I can’t find an example of this on the forums, even though we have a bunch around the office. It makes a cool kinda inset feel - which incidentally would make the pieces easier to pick up, since you’d have a little purchase around the bottom edge

1 Like

Thank you for the additional info. How durable would you say that the paints are?
I’m encouraged to see them used in a key chain scenario as opposed to plaques that sit on the shelf.
I will pop over to the keychain thread and ask Nick as well.
Thanks!

Nick would know much better than I, I haven’t had a chance to play with that yet.

Hhmmm, you sure? I am almost positive that someone (Dan?) explained the white / red airplane invitations were 2-layer acrylic, and someone posted a link to a place to buy sheets like that…

yes, two-color acrylic. Made and sold by many companies, such as inventables.
The frog is also acrylic.[quote=“Kusmeroglu, post:1, topic:1406”]
the acrylic we used
[/quote]

Yesss, that’s exactly the site they posted, thanks!

check out this thread if you haven’t yet. So much good stuff:

1 Like

Aaahh, so the ones on that inventables page are not 2 layers of acrylic?

https://www.inventables.com/categories/materials/acrylic?utf8=✓&selected_filters[Effect][]=2+color

1 Like

Ok my bad…I watched it again and yes…the material used was colorcast acrylic, however the more common material is a bit thinner and is used for name tags signage and comes in lots of colors…and is not a pricy
http://www.bur-lane.com/rowmark-lasermark

2 Likes

I believe its a relativley new product…I’ve had my laser for over 15 years…that product looks to be a coated acrylic…a bit different than the engravers plastic that has been a standard for a long time…

Haha thats what happens when you talk to an old timer in the industry…
Good to see new stuff now with the popularity of cheaper laser engravers…
My two older ones were 15K each…

1 Like

More options & less expensive is always good! Thanks for that link

1 Like