Acrylic paint on leather safe?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to paint or stain leather.  right now I'm using Craft Smart Acrylic paint to paint it after I cut it.  I like the effect I get, but I want to cut it after I paint it.  I think It's safe, but I want a second opinion. 
 Also, if anyone knows another great/cheap way to color leather, please let me know.

Paint:

3 Likes

Acrylic works great on leather, and it’s fine to paint and then cut.

Alcohol inks also work well.

One of my favorites for gray / black on leather is to soak 000 steel wool in apple cider vinegar for a few days until it disintegrates, then paint the liquid onto the leather.

The bracelet with the cutouts was colored using the vinegar mixture. The “Resist” bracelet was too, but then I topped it with some pewter-colored alcohol ink to give it a metallic sheen. I finished both of them with a couple coats of Kiwi wax shoe polish.

26 Likes

+several.
Like the effects of both, and thanks for sharing the recipe.
John :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

https://angelusdirect.com/collections/paint this is my favorite leather paint. I’ve used it for years to paint sneakers and heels. I’ve never had it crack even on toe creases and bonds well to the leather. It is a bit shiny out of the box so i add a drop of duller. i haven’t used their dyes before but i will vouch for their paint 100 %

4 Likes

Thank you for all the feed back. I think I have a good idea on my next step and some more ideas!