Adobe illustrator

using CC2017, hitting Paste in the design window opens the Upload Dialog box, but doesn’t put anything into it. Hitting paste again brings up a momentary “you can’t upload any more designs” message in the Upload Dialog box, and then jumps immediately to the “there was a problem” box.

1 Like

Maybe it only works for a limited type of designs. Seems like I’ve seen what you mention as well. What worked was a single piece from a tabbed box, consisting of a stroked vector, no fill, with grouped sgments.

My test an hour ago was trying to copy a simple square (one path with four nodes).
I tried it stroked, filled, stroked & filled, and blank.

1 Like

(P.s - I’m liking because my results were the same, using the same methodology)

My suspicion is that CC2017 is either using SVG with some new extensions in the clipboard, or something else entirely. The latter may be more likely. CC2018 came out yesterday, but I won’t get a chance to play with it for a while.

It should be possible, though, to script a “Copy :glowforge: SVG to clipboard” action that generates something simple enough for a browser/the GFUI to interpret. (Though to be honest, my desired workflow would be an Illustrator extension to power the :glowforge: directly…)

Good call! I will try this out in a little bit. Despite others success, I hadn’t been able to do this with CC2017.

Not working on CC2018/Mac version, at least with a simple stroked box.

On a whim, I disabled the “include SVG Code” from the File Handling & Clipboard section. This eliminates the immediate error out and processes a “design” - but it’s a completely transparent box not to the original aspect ratio of what was copied.

Okay - first time posting to the forums, but here goes! I’ve gotten pretty good at etching things onto various materials with excellent results, but I want to start dabbling with cutting. I see a lot of people talking about the program Illustrator, but I’m having a hard time finding out how I can purchase it for my Mac. Is it not available in the App Store? I have a newer computer, so can’t go out and buy a disc as there’s no drive for it. I know I sound like such a newbie, but hey, we all start somewhere. Thanks for any insight!

Illustrator is a subscription program, so you actually operate on the cloud with it now. (No disc anyway.)

Link to download the free trial is here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/free-trial-download.html

BUT…Illustrator is relatively expensive, you can actually get most of the same functionality using Inkscape, (free), and the latest beta version is Mac compatible.

(One of the Inkscape users can get you the link if you are interested. I’d start out learning on the free one if I was just getting started with vector designing.) :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome to the forum!

4 Likes

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. =)

1 Like