Air assist fan upgrade?

Yeah I’, just kind of spitballing what the effect might be. I just thought if you had an ember and directed air at it then that could result in a flare up more so than an indirect flow of air over the surface.

1 Like

It would also add to the clearance of the carriage above the work. The fan with its shroud extend 2" below the carriage. Looks like the top of the focus range is 3/4" below the bottom edge of the head, so an 1-1/4" material thickness could be gained (if I measured that right). :thinking:

1 Like

Ok, so you would need an air compressor and a small one that would have to fit inside and by their nature they are very noisy. Then you have to factor in the issue of having to replace the pump if/when it goes out. Just something else that could go wrong and cause issues.

The one on my sabre saw is so noisy you can’t hear anything else in the room.

1 Like

You also would need to factor in a way to remove the water that compressing air inevitably results in.

I’m not sure how the trotec system does that with its built-in compressor. On my other systems, I’ve ran desiccant filters (with in-line water traps), and finally just ended up running it all through a refrigerated air dryer.

3 Likes

i don’t know about needing an internal compressor. if you have one with a tank, it would only have to run periodically. i have a 3 gallon for airbrushing, and when i run at 35 psi output, the compressor isn’t constantly running. as well, there are silent airbrush compressors out there. so i think it’s possible on that front.

as for the water, just have a good air trap. so long as the air has time to get to a temperature that would allow the humidity to drop, (i think) it wouldn’t be too much of a concern.

If it’s not internal then you would need to modify the case for the hose to fit inside and that would void any warranty. I have a compressor that I use when painting my model trains, while it’s quieter than most it’s still a little nosy. As for the water that’s just something I personally wouldn’t take a chance on without a good way to drain it to the outside.

1 Like

Dear friends,
on this post…

…I’ve shown an example (with pictures) of another mod, with a little compressor, that PERFECTLY works on another laser cutter (the xTool M1): it’s a game changer, in my humble opinion. I’ve purchased the mod and with the M1 I can use simple unmasked materials with so excellent results! (I’ve both the GF Pro at the office and the smaller M1 at home)

We should design something similar for the Glowforge… It could surely be done, in a similar way as the M1 version. Almost… to be copied :slight_smile:
Obviously xTool has engineered the mod with great detail… and it would be super if Glowforge would directly project a solution: I’d 100% buy it.

Here you can see a video of how to mount it:

2 Likes