Air filter deliveries

Is anyone receiving the air filter that we’ve been waiting for? The wait time barely reduces and this month it actually got longer for me, it seems like this means that they are not making any. I’m curious how long the other GF owners are waiting. I ordered my GF Pro in; I think it was Oct 2017 and received it mid Feb this year (2018), the filter wait ranges between 5 months and 3 months, month after month. Please post your wait time, I want to know if this is normal. Has anyone ordered and received a filter for a Plus or Basic version?
Thanks,
R.L. Hamm

1 Like

As far as I know nobody, not even the original backers have gotten an air filter yet :weary:

3 Likes

I ordered on day 19 of the initial backer campaign and mine will supposedly ship the end of October. Last I heard, they didn’t have a prototype that was up to the filtration quality they wanted, so I’d guess they aren’t going to start shipping until 2019.

1 Like

It seems like a believable argument but wouldn’t put a lot of faith in forum speculations. As far as I can remember there has been no official or unofficial discussion by the company as to the performance of any prototype or pre-production filter unit.

Of course it is always possible that there have been off the books discussions with company employees at Maker Faires that has not been reported here.

1 Like

Yikes! Mine went from August to September over a year but just jumped to the end of November!

The last mention of a working prototype was when Dan said their prototype wasn’t working as well as they had hoped and brought in an industry expert to redesign it. I feel that post was sometime between Nov 2017 and Jan 2018, (at that time, my filter ship date moved to April 2018).

I’m still on the fence if I’m going to take the filter or take store credit instead. I keep thinking that if I take the GF to an event, I’ll need it, but am I really going to take the GF to an event? Sure I could buy it later, but it will be more expensive.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I do want it to work well so I guess we just wait…

S*** my date changed to the end of November (before it was July)!
Same Game every year, I really hoped not to experience the delivery-delais again!

Thanks. Remember a Dec 16 post about working with an environmental expert but maybe I missed a comment saying the filter wasn’t working to their standards. I accept your comment as truth but if anyone remembers the specific post would like to check it out for exact wording. I don’t want to mangle the intent in my future posts.

1 Like

I remember the post that said the performance wasn’t up to their expectation. I’ve been searching for it, but haven’t found it yet.

2 Likes

I also pretty clearly remember a post saying that the delay was due to the performance of the filter being below expectation. Part of the reason I remember it is because it was frustratingly vague as to whether it was the prototype design that was not performing to spec or production units were not performing like the prototype. I cannot find this post either, but interestingly, I did find a reference to a post by Dan from October 10, 2017 – which is around the right time – called “Air Filter Update”. As far as I can tell, that post no longer exists.

I can’t say for sure if Dan deleted a post because it actually gave some information, but it would surprise me not at all.

In search of this, I came across some other information-like morsels from Dan in the forums, which I collect for you here so you don’t have to hunt for them the same way I did:

November 2016:

March 2017:

This would seem to indicate that the problems were with production units – so why wouldn’t Dan say so in response to direct questioning many times?

April 2017:

June 2017:

Also June 2017:

October 2017:

Also October 2017, in response to a request for more information about the reasons for the filter delay:

Feb 2018:

May 2018:

(In response to a question about whether any filters showed up at Maker Faire, given that the lack of any at World Maker Faire the previous year was one of the early indicators that the filters were not on track:)

Given that photos of units were shared more than a year earlier, with the exhaust and air intakes helpfully pointed out, this explanation falls rather flat.

June 2018:

7 Likes

It’s not a conspiracy.

1 Like

Turns out we were both right. The information about the filter performance issue was in an email to filter customers. As far as I can tell it wasn’t in an official forum post, though it was posted by a forum member. I didn’t order a filter so did not get that email.

3 Likes

I know I saw it somewhere! I was at the point thinking that maybe it was a live video chat or something else outside the site since it wasn’t showing up in search. The search feature in the forum can be hit or miss, but it was bothering me that I couldn’t find it. I starting to think it was the Mandela Effect (or whatever it was called in the last season of the X-Files).

I would assume once they get a working prototype filter unit, they will beta test with select users (either public or private beta). Maybe someone who does nothing but leather to get an idea of how well and how long the filter lasts. (The last time I tried to do leather I have a great idea what wet, burnt dog hair probably smells like. Yes it was PG and made me turn down a paid project involving wool in the GF).

I know there was a couple of questions asked several times about the heat the filter produced. Would the filter increase the temp of air being sucked into the GF by a degree or two? or would back pressure running through the filter be an issue in high heat situations?

Remember a post from dan about the air filter having it"s own exhaust fan(s). If the design is working correctly I wouldn’t think any back pressure is created.

I don’t know. I just remember that being one of the questions that wasn’t answered.

What was the date of that email? I can’t find it.

I received an email specific to my Pro Glowforge delivery status on Oct 12th 2017. In my version it did not mention the filter because I did not order a filter. Assume those that ordered a filter received a modified email with text similar to that below. The date of the email may have been the same, or not.

1 Like

That’s weird. I did not get my email until October 25, and it stated:

We now have a new, estimated shipping date for the Air Filter you ordered. The Air Filter is running behind schedule and has not started production, so the date provided is a more rough estimate, and we’ll be working to refine it.

You can now find the shipping estimate for your Air Filter on your Account Page on Glowforge.com.

I am a filter customer; I ordered on Day Two.

Thanks for the helpful response.

2 Likes

I received the updated email on shipment on 10/10/17. Everyone has a different date for scheduled delivery. See below from DAN replying directly to my post via e-mail to me:

Dan replied to my post with the following:
dan glowforge@discoursemail.com Unsubscribe
10/11/17
to me

dan Staff
October 11

markwkruse:
Production on the Glowforge Air Filter you ordered has been delayed, and is estimated to ship to you on 04/18/18.

That’s the date your filter is scheduled for delivery - others have different dates, starting in January.