Alien Invasion 3D Interlocking Puzzle (w/free SVG)

OK this one is tricky.

9 pieces, they mesh together cleverly.

If you’d like to try it, here’s an SVG:

space_invaders_puzzle_cutsheet

I’d recommend using either acrylic or plywood for this, it’d be a bit too brittle in hardwood.

31 Likes

I love these, thanks!!

8 Likes

These are cool

8 Likes

17 Likes

Hah, that’s awesome.

I was just at a retro arcade a week or three ago and played an original space invaders machine. I forgot it had directional buttons, not a joystick! Blast from the past.

Also, this:

13 Likes

Games still a quarter?

7 Likes

Nice puzzle!!

7 Likes

Most retro arcades have fixed rates and free play. This place was hourly, but others in the area like Blue Ghost are a flat daily rate. It’s a fun nostalgia trip, I have a friend who loves pinball so we occasionally go get a few games in.

8 Likes

i remember when i was in HS in the late 70s, my best friend and i visited his brother at Davidson college, his brother and his roommate had bought a tabletop asteroids machine and somehow convinced the college to allow them to put it in the freshman dorm. he was making bank. and when they were in class, they gave us rolls of quarters and told us to have at it.

11 Likes

Asteroids was released in November 1979, your brother was cutting edge.

Arcades fizzled in 1983, it was a great golden age. Good times!

4 Likes

might have been 1980. but yes, he was very innovative and obviously quite the salesman.

4 Likes

He’s hooked! He’s hooked! His brain is cooked!

( https://youtu.be/W_gbT7WqExs )

Puzzles or arcade games. I’ll let you decide. :grinning:

The one nearest me has their own custom tokens. They do free plays occasionally but, they can also adjust the tokens-per-dollar on the change machine.

I managed an arcade when I was in high school. Post-Space Invaders but, definitely some nostalgia any time it comes up.

7 Likes

We have a really odd-ball room in our apartment…it’s a remnant of them squishing two one bedroom apartments into one big one. Too weird for much of anything, so we jokingly dubbed it the arcade. Our son (soon 51) recalled his early teen years, wiling away the hours in a tiny little arcade behind the local theater in our small town of 10,000+…it was called the Jupiter. So, even though our room is not really an arcade…no pinball machines or the like…we decided to name it Jupiter II…and we set up our music stuff in it.

Loving the idea and playing along in full, my son had a photo of himself dressed as a wizard at age 5, blown up to about 5’ tall and sent it to me for a late birthday gift. He manipulated the photo before sending it off to be made, by drawing in some wizard shoes…et voila…I fastened it up on the wall next to the entrance.

The original;

`

The speech bubble; Abandon all youth ye who enter here.

13 Likes

I love it!

5 Likes

Let’s fix that :wink:

Slightly downscaled arcade machines. Good for smaller spaces!

10 Likes

That would be so much fun…John (our son) would be SO delighted. Perhaps scaled down, but not likely to fit into this little room. Maybe someday with a bit of rearranging… :thinking:

7 Likes

Just priceless!

7 Likes

Well, of course you are aware that you can make a tabletop arcade cabinet with your Glowforge and some relatively inexpensive hardware running an emulator. There is even one in the Shop, if I am remembering correctly.

10 Likes

Many years ago, I “won” a silent auction at a charity event for this arcade game. (no one else bid so I got it real cheap.) It has 60 games that you can play including every known version of PacMan and my favorites, Galaga and Frogger". It lives in a room we call the “game room”. Excuse me while I go play a few games :wink:

15 Likes

What an awesome gift!!!

8 Likes