Alternate, low-cost laser to replace failing GF?

2 Likes

Just to update, I contacted GF directly about this back around when I started this thread, got the confirmation the request was received. Nothing since in 2 weeks now…

1 Like

They never responded to my inquiry directly, but in the process of going thru the issue with HD Engrave for bitmaps, support adjusted my machine twice to compensate for the failing tube.

They have offered me a refurb for $1625 plus tax, total - shipping both ways. 90-day warranty.

Anyone here know how GoFundMe works? :rofl:

5 Likes

If your issue is a tube what happened to the $500 price point?

2 Likes

It went away some time ago, but I took a screen capture from when I saw that was going to happen. I put the BBC web site behind it, and show my date in the taskbar. I might press that issue first…

1 Like

Was there an announcement about the price increase? Or was this just part of the whole “we don’t repair your machine anymore, we just cross ship a refurb” process change?

1 Like

Not that I am aware of. I searched for posts by Dan that reference the tube, however, and found a response from him to my comment on them not getting back to me in the March '23 discussion thread, providing his direct email address.

I have emailed that screenshot, some polite questions, and what I sent to support in response to them saying they would sell me a refurb asking if that was no longer being honored.

I’m not one to pick a fight, but three of my friends and one of my indirect family are attorneys.

4 Likes

Relevant?

1 Like

No idea. They made a commitment to replace tubes, not offer replacement machines. I have never had any issues with my machine, I would rather just have a new tube but the idea of putting it in the hands of UPS twice is not very appealing. Plus, I would need help getting it into a box and the car, and picking up & unboxing whatever I end up with.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have to say I’m peeved about the tube thing more than anything else. A promise was made. Change the price going forward, but I think they should be on the hook to honor that for everyone who had a machine when it was stated that it would be $500 for replacement.

11 Likes

Dan stays up late, from what I have seen. I am not anxious about the situation, but it will be interesting to see what he comes back with. Probably won’t be until the weekdays when the lawyers are working…

2 Likes

Another day, another new laser announced…

Just got notice in my email so haven’t had time to look it up yet. For that cost, likely a Diode laser. Keep in mind Elegoo tends to iterate a bunch of variants (ie, Mars, Mars Pro, Mars 2, Mars 2 Pro, Mars 3). Perhaps this’ll mean a $450 100W variant will roll out before 2024 hits. :joy:

1 Like

Phecda? They’re really leaning hard into their things-in-the-sky naming systems!

1 Like

And the wattages - 10/20W.

I don’t recall ever seeing a CO2 laser that small. I know the tubes are available but they cost as much or more than the fairly standard 40W “entry level” laser. The only use for them (low wattage CO2 tubes) would be where you need 10600nm light affects vs the 405/808nm wavelength typical of diode lasers but in a small form factor like most diode lasers come in because some things are not reactive to blue diode wavelengths.

1 Like

I follow a couple of youtube creators that use the really cheap, low-wattage LED ones. They work just fine but you would need patience. Most of them are cutting templates for making other parts.

2 Likes

Glowforge has “done me right” so far as my failing GF goes, but I have yet to inspect, unpack, and test it. I have been incapable since it was delivered, but UPS did a number on the box, which is beat to heck. I had the UPS guy load it into my SUV until I can coordinate some help. UPS had it on its short end in the truck, then slid it out onto the driveway and proceeded to roll it to my car. Then when he went to lift it in, he had it upside-down, despite all the “THIS SIDE UP” and “FRAGILE” warnings on the box.

6 Likes

Apparently these are meaningless to delivery drivers.
I hope it survived and is undamaged when you finally get to open it up.
When I originally received mine it was delivered on end and stood like that at my door. It had some box damage but everything inside was in pristine condition.

2 Likes

I just had a 3D printer delivered with similar markings. It was upside-down.

3 Likes

smallest CO2 i’ve seen is 30w. even universal makes a 30w.

1 Like

When I got the PRU they were shipping them with the red shock/orientation tags on them. The ones that turned red if they were mishandled. Of course mine was delivered to my driveway and left standing on end and the tags were all red. I freaked out and sent pictures and questions to GF thinking my test unit was doomed from the start :smiley: