An Open Letter to Glowforge

Congrats to you and being able to find work and happiness as one. Truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Well done indeed. Having the courage to drop the rat-race and pursue a creative love is the key part of the story here, all the rest is window dressing IMO. Few people have the fortitude and guts to take that scary plunge and I salute you for doing it. So glad to hear that it is working out for you and fulfilling your life. Awesome.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see your puzzles of my home here in So. Utah! Love the little Texas piece.

2 Likes

Good on you, man! Beautiful journey and beautiful work.

3 Likes

Congrats and best of luck!!

Congrats02

1 Like

Love your story! My wife and I moved to Hawaii (with the intention of traveling to multiple other destinations) because we were becoming comfortable and bored with our lives. I am also a “photographer” of sorts and would love to know what kind of paper you’re printing on. If you aren’t comfortable sharing your process, I understand. I just think it would be killer to maybe do this with a few of my own pictures (mostly to rub it in the faces of my close friends and family that live in colder climates :joy:slight_smile:

Anyway, I support what you’re doing and am very happy to hear that you are on a path that brings you happiness! Congratulations on the success that you’ve had, and here’s hoping for the best for your future path!

4 Likes

Woah - what an overwhelming response! This wasn’t really so much about the path that I’ve taken since I was on it well before the Glowforge… but just about how… well, like another post from today, in a much more succinct manner, mentioned how much magic is in this box (and how much room is left for more magic). Just a big a$$ thank you, really :slight_smile:

I come up with a decent one every now and then. I like that one because it’s not especially difficult to say either! And it’s tough to beat, @Jules - but, I see you did (ha ha). Take that win, “however” it came about.

Man… if this can inspire ANYONE, that would be pretty amazing and I’ll take that any day of the week.

That was my hope in posting this for them… I had a reason for purchasing the Glowforge. A goal you might say (though I’m not big on making the goals lists, and where do you see yourself in 5-years kind of stuff). But, the end product they’ve put together took what would be a pretty cool addition/offering and turned it into something that’s so much more. Magic in this box!

Do we have a fingers crossed emoji? That’s awesome if you get it and OK if you don’t - because there is another job out there with your name on it no matter if you get that bid or not.

Especially with lasers. Just for fun has lead to a lot of really cool discoveries.

Southern Utah is one of the two places that surprised me the most (Idaho being the other) of the places I’ve been. I had no idea how jaw dropping awesomely beautiful it is there.

I’m printing on rolls of Canon Pro Luster paper (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1265636-REG/canon_1108c003aa_photo_paper_pro_luster.html). I really like it. It’s decent enough weight and thickness (260’ish GSM and calipers a little over 10 mils – .01") to both add heft to the pieces but not get destroyed being on the receiving end of a full power cut. I’ve been using a varnish/UV coating because it helps with the smoke stains. But, I get very little smoke stain anyways without it, even unmasked, which might be because of the chroma optimizer (which is basically a clearcoat).

16 Likes

I need to add my voice to the crowd and thank you for sharing your story. For the past few years I’ve been living my dream – making equestrian jewelry – which is the perfect combination of my favorite things: being creative and enjoying the beauty of horses. I ordered my Glowforge (due to arrive in March) in order to produce a less expensive line of products. Everything I do now is handmade in silver or fused glass. There’s no way I can wholesale my work. But with a lasercutter there are so many possibilities! Your story is inspiring, especially the fast response you received to your initial promotion! Continued good luck, and keep us posted as your adventure continues.

5 Likes

Very cool! I didn’t know of equestrian jewelry but google led me down a path of pretty cool items. You should definitely post some of it over in the Show and Tell thread!

1 Like

Cool story bro’

What process do you use for the print?

I do in-house prints on a Canon Pro 2000

I’ll head over to Show and Tell and post a link to my website!

1 Like

Awesome success story! Congratulations and best wishes for continued success moving forward.

1 Like

Congrats!! Great success story. All the best.
(professionally envious. Hope to tell a similar story soon.)
-Steve

1 Like

Thank you! I hope that you do also!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been testing laminating similar photo paper (Ilford Gallarie Smooth Pearl, Canon Pixima ink) onto Draftboard using 3M Super 77 adhesive for the backing and a UV spray varnish to seal the ink in and protect against smoke damage. I have a friend who is on disability and I’m trying to set her up with a manufacturing process for puzzles so that she can help support herself on selling custom puzzles of dogs that she helps rescue / foster. The hardest part is to get even pressure across the piece during the lamination processes - I’ve been using a rolling pin and parchment paper to protect the artwork, but for consistency I’ll probably build a cold roller laminator (especially since the final user of this will be a 120lb female). Anyway, the sample pieces I created for her on the Glowforge blew her mind - the edges are much sharper than what can be done on a die cutting machine, and of course there’s no expenditure required for die cutting.

Can’t wait to get my forever forge so I can wrap up the project. :smiley:

5 Likes

Your story is inspirational… and well told…

Thank you for telling it.

Sincerely,

Michael

3 Likes

@Terence_Tam - I think that’s wonderful what you’re doing. Great paper choice! If I can be of any help, or answer any questions, please feel free to message me.

For your cold roller - I bought this thing a few years ago for ~$100 and it’s been worth every penny. Bed folds up on both sides to be relatively compact for storage. :smiley:

Apache AL25P 25" Professional Cold Press Laminator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012UKM78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RfKrAbESDA822