Anyone bothered by the lack of updates?

Should be simple and not too costly to send us an update.

I also own a Shaper Origin. They just released a new version of their firmware, and not only did they post a description of the new features they added and the bugs that they fixed, they sent me a postcard in the mail that said, “Hey, there’s a new version of the firmware for you to try out”.

4 Likes

Pretty sure my post-job air assist or purge air fan running thing isn’t happening anymore.

Not talking about anything specific. But you know as well as I that everytime something doesn’t work as expected it will be blamed on a change.

The air assist was blowing after a job. From a staff comment it sounded like that may have been unintentional.

2 Likes

Random thought

Agree I have a shaper as well and they follow up continuously - it’s makes for a positive conversation.

I think Humans have a tendency to believe bad things - so a lack communication or communication without a “why” quickly spirals.

On GF - I think they have realized that there is a large market for schools, collages or rent by the hour - hence they prioritized these platforms.

It’s an interesting use case (watching this thread) - I think the maker community want to be treated like they treat their creations - If this is true, it will be interesting to see if GF figure this out.

2 Likes

In that one (maker) is buying a mass produced/assembly line product that isn’t really designed for a ton of tinkering on the user side of things, unless you’re really, really inclined to do so?

I don’t consider myself a maker. But, I know that I enjoy making things more than tinkering with the things that make things, most of the time. Especially when one is using it for business. I don’t mind if the 3d printer is down - I’ve tinkered with that. But it’s also more of a toy than a tool, at this point.

You definitely have two or three primary areas of interest: those who want it to just be push a button and make something, somewhere in the middle where you have the design chops to really design stuff and use non- Proofgrade materials, and then the maker side that wants it open-source, etc.

2 Likes

i don’t disagree with anything you said. but you know, people wouldn’t have/be able to claim there were changes that never actually happened if they just acknowledged updates when they happened and provided rudimentary release notes. not even detailed stuff, but just “tweaked pathing algorithm to increase engraving speed” or "will run fan 5 seconds longer after a job completes) or something vague like that, with a version number, would go a long way to make users happier.

1 Like

As I am sure you know, daily status updates is almost always a sign of a project about to collapse.

Shielding your team sounds like the right move, and is one of the attributes of a good manager, IMHO.

1 Like

I’m pretty pissed about not having the air filter yet. We (the public library system for which I work) bought into the Glowforge during the Kickstarter. How many YEARS ago was that, anyway?

The public areas of our branches do not have operable windows out of which to vent the Glowforge, making it COMPLETELY USELESS for us without the air filter.

Stupidly, we took delivery of the main unit without the air filter, instead of just getting a refund and buying a FULLY-FUNCTIONAL product elsewhere.

Originally when I purchased it was for use at work. We too have fixed windows. Fortunately, I was able to take it home until such time that a filter comes available. I’m sorry that you have found yourself in such a situation.