Anyone done a heads-up mirror?

Your serious suggestion of the real-world ‘considerations’ (I’m loath to call them problems) around coating half my workplace in chrome is both appreciated and admired. The hexavalent chromium consideration should inform my approach but I’m not yet ready to fully abandon it. Wasn’t it Franklin who said, “If you want to make an omelet, you need to break a few protein strands”? I’m pretty sure he did.

However, your multitude-mirror-tile suggestion does resonate. I’m zeroing in on your admonition to “position them just so”; absolutely. This can (will?) best be accomplished by suspending each on an independently moving actuator, allowing the entire array to collectively reflect the contents and activity of the Forge-bed to any arbitrary point in the room. A little Arduino-work and we’ll have that. Then I just need a headset/tiara/whathaveyou to direct the focus point. I’ll head off the inevitable suggestion of body-recognition algorithms to determine this focus:
1- Duh
2- yea, we’ll do that in Phase 2

@mpipes 's disco ball has a place in this, no doubt. Possibly as a way to direct the image around corners as needed.

I’m really pleased with how this is coming together.

2 Likes

Well, yes, but where’s the fun in that??? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

If that IP camera is hanging from a mini quadcopter, that makes it fun again, right?

Fiber optic goggles.

And speaking of Arduino mirrors…

3 Likes

Did we just become best friends?

Also: Yes, I am In Awe of Daniel Rozin. His work is amazing.

2 Likes

hey why not mount the 'forge on a robotic cart that follows you around where ever you go? That way you can always see it without having a pesky camera or any wifi problems. Exhaust ducting and 110 volt power delivery are too trivial to even consider as challenges… right? right?

2 Likes

I dunno… You say “cart” which kind of implies wheels, which kind of implies that I don’t need to go upstairs for a drink while it’s cutting… Which is unacceptable. But on reflection I’m sure you meant a ‘metaphorical’ cart, and so you’re probably actually picturing the dozen articulated spider legs that I immediately envisioned.

So yea, we’re thinking along the same lines.

1 Like

Maybe scale up something like this:

https://www.vincross.com/hexa

Glowrantula!

3 Likes

Ah Robotic Spiders. The stuff of both my greatest Dreams and greatest Nightmares…

2 Likes

You’d only need 17 of them to carry the weight! (and OMG that would be both adorable and terrifying to see the :glowforge: scuttling across the living room )

4 Likes

Adorable and terrifying is one of my favorite pairings. And your idea made me think of the 3rd Pirates Of the Caribbean (DONT JUDGE!!!) scene when the thousands of stone-crabs carry the ship across the desert. So: awesome.

Have I mentioned recently how pleased I am with the direction this thread has gone? Well, I am.

4 Likes

How about Boston Dynamics robots?

The Big Dog is a bit creepy

But their newest pack dog is quite the party animal. Bet the GF would fit nicely.

2 Likes

They are all gloriously creepy!

1 Like

love to see your idea, my push wheelchair to short to see in and power chair well it break it. have it on top of my tool box. can’t see in make be worry. special on long prints that get smoky. other than custom table which maybe where at with out coster but mirror idea maybe idea

1 Like

I would think you could get a cart that had a lower shelf on which you could keep glasses and potent potables, so it would be Glowforge and mini-bar all in one, and on wheels!

3 Likes

No one has yet to mention the mini-bar possibilities, and so my hat is off to you. Bravo! Now I’m thinking about the scene where R2D2 is serving drinks on Jabba’s Sand-Yacht. :joy:

1 Like

Your’s is a REAL concern (my stuff has just been silly) and I’m so glad it’s giving you some ideas. Not only for visibility, but also easy fast access in case a fire starts, makes me think that a lower table would be a good idea, if you can get one. A mirror, or a collection of small mirrors, or the very valid camera projecting on a monitor would also give you some piece of mind.

Definitely make your workspace work for you; and tell us your solutions! Good Luck! :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.