Anyone else about sick of their machine?

Advice taken. I see your points well.

1 Like

I was talking with a friend earlier about photography. He is curious and knows nothing about cameras, lenses, etcā€¦ I brought up ISO, fstops, and shutter speed.

Take this as an example. It is easily understandable with adjusting any one of those units in one direction and adjusting one other in an equal amount to the opposite balances back out.

With the Glowforge it is just way different with their measuring units. They donā€™t correlate at all. They are not in multiples if you know what I mean. 50 is not half of 100 and 500 is half of 1000 with the Glowforge.

Iā€™m with you on that. Same for me.

Here is a recommended optimization process for Cermark. The settings there are in S for speed and P for powerā€¦

1 Like

I would love for there to be a percentage 0-100 for the Glowforge. It would tell you that this is max and this is min. And equal increments in between. Why 0-100 and then the full power? What is 100 compared to full power? Itā€™s unnecesaarily confusing.

The more I think about itā€¦I could see Glowforge knowing exactly what it is and they are using all of us as a guinea pig. Not that other companies donā€™t do the same.

They might be testing all kinds of parameters knowing that for some users they will have to replace parts earlier than others due to power. But they get the data they need.

Why 100 and then full power? Is full power 200? Is it 110? Are the possibilities between the two that they are unsure about and havenā€™t unlocked in the software?

I know you donā€™t want anyone to tell you to search the forum. So I did that for you.

Hereā€™s the announcment that introduced Full Power.

And some clarifications that Dan made.

And for completeness, hereā€™s the search I did.
https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=full%20power%20user%3Adan

To summarize, precision power is very stable and scalable. For Full Power, they doā€¦ something and deliver significantly more power. They have not said what that something is, and have not said how much of an increase it is.

6 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions and explanation.

Do we know what wattage, so to speak, that 100 is? Or ā€œFull Powerā€ is since they say it is not the max the tube is capable of?

I just got a plasma CNC and the lack of engraving is a noticeable issue when coming from a laser (& you can only do metal). But you can cut metal :grinning:

Thereā€™s an attachment he might be able to add to his plasma though - itā€™s called a ā€œplate markerā€. That allows you to do engraving on metal. Itā€™s not Glowforge 3D but itā€™s good for etching into the metal. Then you can use a variety of techniques to color the engrave.

Or, with a laser you can mark it with a number of marking solutions. Thermark/Cermark are probably the best known but they have cheaper competitors now that have equally good results.

1 Like

Zebrawood is very flammable. If it gets a bit to turn red and burn like a coal that will continue till the whole piece burns up. Mahogany also will do this easier and Ash will also turn to ash if it gets started. Rosewood is several different species and I have not tried any of them, though they should be better than those three, but then I had higher expectations of Mahogany.

A bit of water soaked cloth will put out those burning coals but if you open the lid and stop the cut the piece is ruined anyway as you cannot start again part of the way through. I did manage to engrave some Mahogany by getting it wet doing a single engrave pass then soaking it again and doing another light pass with the wet cloth always available as soon as it finished.

2 Likes

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I need to take time to play with my machine more. Just so busy all of the time.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.