Anyone have an Herman Miller Aeron Task Chair?

For the DIY/Makers out there, especially those with access to a good pick-n-pull, there are a lot of very comfortable driver’s seats sitting around for real cheap. Look for the lower millage, upper trim levels. Make a base from scratch, or convert one from an old office chair. Get tricky and hook up the seat-heaters, lumbar massage, position memory, weight-sensors (you may need one or more of the vehicle computers for certain functions).

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Turn-Junker-Car-Seats-into-Beautiful-Office/

the seats in my cherokee were garbage, but I found a perfect pair of grand cherokee limited leather seats at U-pull-n-pay. Swapped out the power-recline mechanism for a manual one, so I was not charged extra for powered seats. Makes the XJ so much more comfy. One of these days I am going to wire up the seat heaters.

7 Likes

That would be a great option for outdoor furniture. I like to stargaze, and that would deeply improve my comfort considering the richest skies are in winter.

I have had an old Lazyboy exec chair for 30 years that is so comfortable I have rebuilt the tilt/swivel mechanism with ball bearing movements and recovered it 3 times. This iteration is Elk hide, and is the best yet.

4 Likes

A Lazyboy executive chair is on my short list if I can’t bring myself to pay $900+ for a chair.

1 Like

My son has a living room couch he made from a 56 Buick backseat.

And an understanding girlfriend :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Someone put a highback bucket from a Vega on a tiny Toyota forklift that we had. Looked ridiculous, but was comfy.

4 Likes

@jamesdhatch friend of mine made a couch from a newer chevy truck interior, complete with center console, cup holders, and fold-away armrests, and adjustable headrests. Made a great gaming couch.

Corbeau actually makes an office chair base for their racing seats. Not exactly junkyard-cheap. I wouldn’t buy one.

4 Likes

When I was a kid, several people I knew had a bench seat out of some car or van sitting on the porch, basement, or wherever the kids hung out. It was considered cheap seating. Now it’s considered exotic.

4 Likes

I’ve been using one for about 15 years - love it, works great. It’s a personal choice thing, though…

2 Likes