Anyone tried cutting 1/32" birch ply?

Those are great!

Do you use them for gaming?

I considered this but scoring has the same power and speed values as cutting. That doesn’t mean that 500/full is the same in score and cut, so maybe it’s worth a try. Anyone tried this yet?

Thanks! I hadn’t thought about doing gaming tokens, but they would be a good scale for it – the first picture has three massing development models for flatpack furniture pieces I’ve built (from left to right: flatpack Xmas tree, a 12’ tall flatpack CNC’d tree I built for a stage show at a gala about a month ago, and a new pendant lamp commission, the Link lamp, I did a couple months ago). The second photo has miniature versions of my flatpack cube lamp and my Link lamp that I assemble, finish and put findings on to sell as sets of earrings (they started out as the pop-up cube lamp business cards, like the one in the foreground, that I made for an interior designers’ conference this summer, but then I realized they were the right scale for jewelry and it went from there).

They are the same values (ex: 300/50 score same as 300/50 cut). It’s more of a way to keep your operations in order over in the operations list

1 Like

A couple of us have uploaded “calibration templates” for just this purpose. I always run one with new material.

Yeah I have a template too, but unless I’ve totally missed it, there’s no way to save or customize the settings for such a job. You have to run through each operation and manually set it, which is clunky and error-prone — to me this means that the ui wasn’t optimized for people who want to be specific with their jobs, instead aimed at “casual” users.

What I’m suggesting is a much more refined system than a plain template svg that should take some of the human error out and make the entire process very simple.

[enter wild speculation rabbit hole]

An automated material testing system seems really attainable but who knows how low it is in the hopper. GF is probably focused on continued revenue streams (the Gillette business model but with a wicked expensive handle as it were), so they’ll focus on the issues that affect their largest and most lucrative user groups first, I’d bet.

An example of what I’m saying would be something like “streamline the shop interface to get better conversion rates on design purchases” vs “make a way to test non PG settings on unknown materials”, it’s not even close which makes more sense for GF to work on.

It’d be really interesting to know what the use case breakdown is in the installed base… like how many people use off-the-shelf designs versus design their own? This is the sort of information that the GF has that we can’t even accurately speculate on, there’s no telling how many people have a machine and don’t do anything on the forums at all. We’re already seeing a bit of self-selection at work here.

It’s at times like this that I wish they’d gone open source or at least released a strong API on the server side software. There are undoubtedly plenty of capable programmers in the forums — we’re a pretty tech-leaning bunch — with a proper API we’d see so much innovation; but then GF would need to let everyone in on at least some of their secret sauces, and I can see why they don’t want to.

Anyway we’ll basically get what we get, we have no visibility into the timeline or priority list. I love my machine, (perceived) software warts and all. GF took their time and got a lot of key things so right, I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here and trust that good things are coming.

And as a final note I’m talking a big talk here for someone who’s had his machine for all of 15 days. Feel free to file me under “whatever, newbie”. :slight_smile:

That takes being really on my toes, to be sure. It doesn’t happen often.

1 Like

Right now that’s true. It does make the calibration templates tedious. But saving settings was an early request of the PRUers and dropped into the hopper pretty early. Likely a priority for the dev team.

Cross your fingers :smiling_face:

1 Like