Are Glowforges shipped from DCL LOUISVILLE

Today, I got a notice from UPS showing 2 boxes from DCL LOUISVILLE are being delivered to my house tomorrow (Tuesday 7/27/21)
1st box is 80 lbs
2nd box is 23 lbs

Could these be my Glowforge? I thought they were manufactured in the Seattle area.

4 Likes

yes, it is. the 80 lb box is the GF, the 23lb box is the accessories (like the crumb tray and the vent hose). seattle is where the company is headquartered, but not where it’s manufactured.

8 Likes

That sounds like them! The GF is about 55lbs plus the box/packing supplies. The smaller box usually contains your crumb tray, power cord and starter pack of materials .

HQ is in Seattle but manufacturing and repairs are not. Used to be in Texas but they did say they were changing facilities a few months ago.

5 Likes

Well then I am STOKED!!
Awesome!

I may be on here ALOT asking questions… so be prepared! :grinning:

11 Likes

We are here for you. I wandered in with all of the questions.
Over the years the forum has accumulated quite the database, the search function can be helpful!

You are in for a great adventure. Are you familiar with any design software?

5 Likes

been looking at a few…Inkscape, Affinity Designer…

3 Likes

I opted for Inkscape because it was free (spent my disposable income on the machine).
It is a powerful solution, and is more than capable of anything I need. There are users here of all of the different programs. Adobe Illustrator is the professional choice, but Inkscape is the free option.

5 Likes

Very excited for you!

6 Likes

While you’re waiting you can check out the advice in this post for newbies: Common problems/questions

5 Likes

I have Inkscape, Adobe, and Affinity but I find myself only using Inkscape. I especially recommend it when starting out because it doesn’t overwhelm you. Sometimes people starting out on the GF have issues that end up being the design file so picking a program you are comfortable with is important.

4 Likes

Congrats!! I use Inkscape but purchased Affinity Designer. Still struggling with it because it seems I’m always in a hurry and Inkscape takes care of most of what i need!

4 Likes

find a place NOW to store the ‘couch’ (aka all the boxes, and parts that you don’t need) you have to keep them in case there is any problem, and you need to ship GF back to the mothership.

3 Likes

Christmas morning is right around the corner for you! Exciting news! I started out trying to learn Inkscape, but because I use a Mac, I found that Affinity Designer was more user friendly for me. That’s all I’ve used now for the past 4 years. Welcome and have fun.

3 Likes

When you get connected go through the entire First Prints section (you can read through it now). Most folks miss the “and now go here” in the setup instructions and then don’t learn the basics of the machine. It’s an incredibly educational part of the support page :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A lot of companies are putting warehouses in the Louisville area, because SDF (Louisville International Airport) is the UPS hub. Items shipped from Louisville get to the final destination faster.

6 Likes

I posted this a few weeks back. Welcome!!

GLOWFORGE LINKS

Massive Google Docs Link— MAKE SURE AND GO INTO ALL THE TOP HEADINGS

Glowforge SETTINGS - Google Drive

Glowforge Customers Training Center - Tips and Tricks, Handy Links - Google Sheets

A. Making boxes with the Glowforge

Make A Box: Generate Laser Cutter Templates for Enclosures!

MakerCase - Easy Laser Cut Case Design

Box Designer

Boxes.py

Online File Generators for Laser Cutting - Maker Design Lab

B. FREE SVGs

Laser cutting designs | Craftsmanspace

Free SVG Image & Icon. | SVG Silh

Free Laser Cut Templates, Download Laser Cutting Designs

SVGCuts.com Blog

Ponoko

C. Free Clipart

D. 40 Places to get free SVGS

F. Different blogs and websites

Made with Forge - Tips, Tutorials, and Freebies for Glowforge

Make CNC DIY Projects & Products | MakeCNC.com

Hacker Factor: Glowforge Notes

Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers |

G. Converting websites Farwest makes it easy to convert inches to decimals.

CloudConvert

Zamzar - video converter, audio converter, image converter, eBook converter

DXF to SVG (Online & Free) — Convertio

H. Supplies

Ocooch Hardwoods - Thin Wood for Scroll Sawing, Laser Engraving/Cutting, Woodturning, Intarsia and More

Glowforge SETTINGS - Google Sheets

I. Learn to design

Glowforge Training Center - Raster Design - Google Sheets

Glowforge Customers Training Center - 2D Vector Design - Google Drive

J. Online Classes

Online Classes by Skillshare | Start for Free Today

Online Courses - Learn Anything, On Your Schedule | Udemy

K. YouTube Channels

Lady Crockett Crafts

Troy the Maker

Fresh Start Customs

ToolMetrix

WayofWood

Panthera Press

ThinkLaser Limited

John Kuiphoff

When Geeks Craft

L. YouTube Channels to learn Inkscape

TJ Free

Logos by Nick

6 Likes

Lots of great information.

1 Like

I am in Knoxville Tennessee— 4 hours away from Louisville Kentucky.

This past Friday afternoon, I placed a Glowforge shop order. About 18 hours later it was delivered by UPS. Saturday morning at 10:30am.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.