Artisan's Clutch from The Catalog

Thanks for the jig and dye advice!

I know it’s only been a couple of days so far, but do you feel like the finger joints will hold up to normal clutch use?

I think it would, with the right glue. I’m not sure what the ideal glue would be (I don’t think it was specified in the instructions). I used superglue and so far it seems quite secure.

I think it came out lovely, and I like the effect of the dye. As others have said, it has a very “faux woodgrain” look.

Two tips that I recently learned about dye: 1) Prep the area with rubbing alcohol first, it supposedly opens up the pores so that the dye takes better. 2) Use a slightly damp sponge to apply the dye. Have not tried these out yet myself, but intend to do so.

If I can make a suggestion as far as your glue (which you are free to employ or disregard as you see fit) I would replace the superglue with Barge. I’ve had poor results with superglue + leather. Super glue tends to dry to a very stiff consistency, and it cracks when bent. It does not play nicely with the porous/flexible nature of leather. IME, it simply doesn’t hold up to time and temperature changes.

Last but not least, thanks for sharing your jig!

6 Likes

Gosh, thanks for the tips–they are extra valuable coming from you! I will definitely try those dyeing ideas, and get me some of the Barge. I suspected superglue was not ideal but I was too eager to put the thing together and that was what was at hand. I suspect many a project is ruined or at least compromised by such impatience. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah, just placed an order for a couple of tubes of the Barge.
(The problem I have with diverting into any new material is that you’ve got to buy more specialty glue for it…every time. I’ve got enough glue around here to fill a stable.)

2 Likes

Nice little circle of life thing going on there…since stable occupants provided some of those glues :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

( Yep … :wink:)

I have a few such projects hanging about :wink:

Hi Dan,
Is there any plan to offer proof grade leather already dyed any time soon?
And is there are time frame for longer proof grade wood for Pro’s?
:o) Nancie

1 Like

thanks for sharing the jig. this will be helpful.
question on the patterns? when you first opened the design which states 2 pages… did you see both the body and the wood ends? or does the wood ends show up after you cut out leather?

thanking you in advance!

cadi

1 Like

The design loads from the catalog as two separate pages: one for the heavy leather and one for the wood pieces. For each of those, the instructions that are loaded are for the complete assembly including all pieces.

If you aren’t seeing both pages, maybe scroll up and down a bit–they may have loaded at different places. If not, load the one you do have then click on the instructions ("…") and click on the reset design button–maybe that would load the missing page. If all else fails, contact support for the missing page.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response!
okay, that helps to know that they should have have showed up. I’ll screenshot it and send to contact support. Thanks again, for taking the time on a Saturday to answer this newbie’s question!

Best,
cadi

1 Like