At a loss. How do you cut on the Glowforge

.dxf support is reportedly in the works. For now pdf exports are OK but keep an eye out when you’re moving things around in the UI, as unlike svg uploads, objects are not “blocks” and individual lines can be selected and moved.

Also note that GFUI does not see “layers” be it AutoCAD, Illustrator or Photoshop. Operations are determined 100% by the color of the object in question, but as long as your AutoCAD layers are all different colors the functionality works the same.

1 Like

Yep. I created a file with the paths to cut and set them up with the colors suggested but when I try and upload them to the interface, the program crashes. So I will open a support ticket for that.

Happy to hear that the .dxf will be supported one day. That will make the workflow a lot more efficient.

Thanks again. You have all been a big help. First time using a laser cutter and we are so far very thrilled with the results. And you guys here on the forum are awesome. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Thanks for the doc. I did a forum search for some material and didn’t see this. This is a big help (a nice refresher).

I’ve crashed the UI a few times with complex PDF uploads with lots of lines.

One thing I just thought of that might be worth a try is exporting our CAD files as .dxf and opening them in Inkscape (free) and exporting from there to SVG. This might fix the “blocks” and crashing issue.

2 Likes

Ok. Will give this a try. Thanks.

That’s the starter tutorial. Give these others a try as well, they explain a lot of tricks that make it a lot easier to design for the machine:

4 Likes

Well with all this info, I am no longer at a loss. We just cut our first piece!!! :grinning:

So now we can start moving to the next step.

Again, I want to thank all of you for your help. I am on a lot of forums and user groups and let me say, you guys not only answered my questions but also gave me some sound advice. And you were quick!!! I was expecting to get some help by Monday the earliest (which at this point could have been okay!) Wow. You people rock!!!

15 Likes

We’re pretty sure @Jules among many others doesn’t sleep :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m a vampire.

A blood suckling hedgehog vampire??? :open_mouth:

1 Like

download

14 Likes

If you run into any trouble with SVG files, feel free to post them up on the forum. You’ll learn the little design tricks in no time, but it can be tough to troubleshoot one of your own files while you’re learning and when you don’t know exactly what to look for.

I would like this so many times if I could!

1 Like

One of my first attempts was to draw a line and Glowforge made a vector from the scan and cut it all the way around exactly the shape I that the pen made and then saved it. If you toss a piece of paper with lines on it the GFUI can read it and make a file from that.

Probably better to just get inkscape.

Hello,

I have tried several time to upload PDF and it does not work on GF… Any advice?

Maybe something is wrong with the specific pdf? Can you attach it here? We might be able to figure out what’s up.

Can you expand on what doesn’t work about it?

Also, what program are you using?

Here are two files svg and pdf, which looks like a sh…t when i upload to GF…
They were exported from VCarve Pro
Have no idea how to engrave only between lines not full…
Also one file if I want to cut there is missing part of one line…LOGO.pdf (18.2 KB)
LOGO

Also can not find suitable tutorial for inkscape… As I want to do some file were I could choose in GF what to do with separate items, to engrave, cut or score…
Now if choose cut then cuts everything, if I choose engrave, engraves everything… and so on…
Driving me crazy…

Sounds to me like you need to start from the beginning. Try reading through the links in this post:

As for inkscape, there are lots of tutorials out there, I like Tavmjong Bah’s series:

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/index.html

Next up, your specific pdf. I’ll help you with this file real quick and post it in a minute.

3 Likes