Aura engrave on iPad

I tried engraving on my old MacBook; it didn’t make a mark on it.

11 Likes

thank you for try this and I’m sorry for my delay answer.
I believe i should not even try this. But I’m very curious why they advertising it?
What if i bought it only to do engrave on the iPad.? This is very misleading.

1 Like

Thank you very much for letting me know this.

2 Likes

Do they specifically advertise engraving ipads with the aura? I know it’s something you can do with the pro/plus/basic. Maybe I got the test wrong, maybe the purple was the problem?

2 Likes

Yes if you check their main video (at 1.05) on their youtube Chanel about the aura you can see it how “easy” can do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2kdLr1-hjk

2 Likes

Yeah it sure does.

So some aluminums have a special type of anodization that is designed to engrave well – the ipad offers engraving from apple so maybe they have that kind of surface treatment. I have a dog tag that is that way, let me try it real quick. Back in a bit.

OK I actually dropped the speed to 2 instead of 10 as well, to give it the highest chance. Lowest speed, highest power, on a gold anodized aluminum dog tag.

4 Likes

Thank you
I will give it a try on those settings and i will let you knkw

1 Like

Yeah so it worked mostly.

It is punishingly slow. A single square inch Glowforge logo takes about 3 hours. I pulled my tag out early, no way was I waiting that long for this test. You should be able to get the idea from what I did do.

The engrave isn’t the best contrast, I’d say that two passes (and twice the time) would probably get better results.

The Glowforge video is definitely marketing magic. With a little (terrible) photo editing you can get a better contrast:

I’m not saying that GF necessarily altered their video to look better, but I’m not not saying it. They clearly process their videos very carefully — they look great, but they may not reflect the exact way things look outside of a studio photo shoot.

If a square inch took three hours I can’t even imagine how long that iPad took. And again, I’m not using an iPad so it might be possible to engrave apples aluminum at higher speeds, I can’t say.

11 Likes

Holy cow.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for all the tests. Im terrible sorry for not answer yet but it seems like my aura 7/10 time never works. Its extremely frustrate it, i still did not find a solution. For many days back and forth with the technical support, but nothing yet. They always said that is a router problem. We even try instead of router to do it from my phone hotspot, still nothing. Even now that I’m talking to you still try to calibrate/homing/focusing, etc. So far the worst experience ever i had with a machine in my whole life…

1 Like

That’s rough. Good luck with the router issues, I know that kind of problem can be tough to troubleshoot.

4 Likes

My opinion is that its not a router problem, because i reset and reconnect successfully the aura plus my computer to my iPhone hotspot and still has the exact same issues. So in my opinion is just the aura.
Anyway this for a different topic but thank you though for all your help. If i make it work and try it on iPad i will let you know.

2 Likes

Both your computer and your iPhone use a 5g signal as a default, the Aura only uses a 2.4g signal. Are you positive your router is sending out a 2.4g signal?

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.
Please keep in mind if its 5G only the Aura does not even find the wifi name when you try to connected. It finds only 2.4. And yes my router and my phone are both 5G and 2.4G - For the phone you have to enable it through the settings. For my router it switch it automatic, it depends of the devices and so far except the aura all my 2.4 device are connected without try anything else.

Just curious, do you have an Apple TV?

1 Like

Yes. Why? Do you believe it conflicts with Aura?

1 Like

Will you humor me please? Unplug your Apple TV, then reboot your router, all that mess, then try to connect the Aura again and see what happens? My Apple TV reaked havock on my Glowforge and a couple of other people reported similar.

3 Likes

You know, the Apple TV isn’t as popular as a Roku, etc which is why I don’t think it happens that often. My solution is I made a guest network and the ONLY thing I have on the guest network is my glowforge. And for added measure, I only plug in my Apple TV when I want to use it.

2 Likes

Wow that is weird, but again if its about network as soon as the Aura and my mac is connected to my phone hotspot then everything should be fine… But in my case was the exact opposite. It was even worst even though that i had a successful connection. At the end i received an email few hours ago form the support team and they told me that through the log that they saw, its better to take back my Aura and sent me a new one. I hope the new one is better. So far the experience was very bad.

1 Like

Obviously, I would do what they say, but your phone may still be connected through your wifi too causing some of the interference. So when you get the replacement Aura, please try the above and in the meantime, set up a Guest network and set it up for 2.4. It just made a huge difference for me.

Sorry your initial experience has been poor. I don’t have an Aura, but I love my glowforge.

3 Likes