Basic tools that should come with Glowforge

Considerable weight reduction in addition to the reduction in air resistance. :grin:

Stop editing my quotes @discourse!!!

1 Like

The original filter design was worse. As best as we could tell the main GF unit sat on top of the GF filter. There did not appear to be any door for changing the filter. A user would need to lift the main laser off of the filter to change the cartridge. The design never made it to production.

A lot of GF ideas are cool but there are quite of few design features of the GF that must have been the brainchild of artists or designers, not engineers. Kind of what would have happened with a Steve Jobs but no Steve Wosniak. Think an engineer with operational test experience should have been involved in the design processes.

3 Likes

I’m a 57 year old science teacher who drove past a gym once. That’s about as close as I ever got. Anything that weighs more than a test tube (especially as big and bulky as a GF) is the same thing as “over 100 lbs” to me.

4 Likes

Just to put that in perspective, the exhaust fan I have on the Trotec (1 of 2), weighs just under 50 lbs. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That is the weight after it has been cleaned! And I think that is without the crumb tray as well? I live here with my 75-year-old self and it is a major operation to get my asthmatic self out the door even without bringing a Glow forge with me, And I know there are many here less able than that.

3 Likes

Expecting the machine to cone with design capabilities and software is laughable. Why would you want to depend on the manufacturer of your machine to provide software as well?

I own a $16,000.00 Techno-Isel CNC Router, it came with two Allen wrenches, a controller and proprietary control software, nothing else. My $4,500.00 Roland DGA cutter/plotter came with proprietary control software and a spare blade, that’s it, same for the $8,500.00 in 3D printers that I own as well.

The only software that any equipment manufacturers should provide is that which provides the capability to process designs of your making, control and interpreting that which you input, nothing else.

6 Likes

They did, that’s why they came out with the premium package. Many lasers don’t even come with cooling systems or ventilation systems which must be purchased separately. A lot of lasers don’t have a camera so you can’t actually see the material that you are going to cut or engrave, or autofocus so you have to change the height of the material to get it to cut or engrave properly.

You say that you use Lightburn. That software can be used to create files for the Glowforge.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.