Basic vs Pro Laser...is it safe in a home?

Unfortunately we don’t have any demo videos - all our attention’s been on the basic unit so far as far as images and video go.

We do have separate software control over the intake and outflow fans. We haven’t had problems, but could decrease the inflow and increase the outflow when the passthrough was being used.

I am considering upgrading to the pro model, but I also would like to see some kind of demo before committing so much money. I am primarily interested in cutting long pieces of foam for shadowing toolboxes. I am currently paying Snap-On for this service, but would like to do in house.

Thanks

I would be less worried about the pass through slot (easy enough to mount a shield) than the filtering ability of the Pro in a home setting. From what I gathered from the reps at Maker Faire the filter is only two-stage (HEPA + carbon). For in-home use I wouldn’t be comfortable with less than 3 stages of filtration and if you don’t keep those filters clean (though to do if you cut plywood or MDF) then they will block your airflow and then the fumes will just build up in the cabinet and release when you open the door. Always better to vent outside when possible.

1 Like

I do not have any children at home, and have pre-ordered the pro model for it’s passthrough capabilities, and especially the air filter. My question is will that air filter really be effective enough to run indoors? I know people with other laser systems that have purchased HEPA filters, and returned them because they were not nearly effective enough for even their garage. I plan to put the machine in the basement and won’t mind some odor/fumes escaping, but I don’t want fumes all through the house. Venting outside 100% is not an option as we are a corner house with no yard and close neighbors. I have heard putting a laser to leather smells understandably like burning flesh…

1 Like

Any chance on just a little elaboration for the Pro model? Forget kids or other people. If I’m just using the Pro model at home, by myself, do I need additional safety equipment / eyewear, or are the glass and silicone safety shields be enough for normal use (no one around to horseplay with it).

This is very worrisome for me; correct safety eyewear for laser devices must be matched to the specific laser in use. Since this is custom hardware, we CANNOT complete this on our end without more information from you guys.

The pro model is considered a class 4 laser so you definitely should wear safety glasses while the laser is running.

It’s a standard CO2 beam with a wavelength of 10.6 µm. Plenty of off-the-shelf glasses matched to that wavelength. Or just duct tape a sheet of 3/8" polycarbonate to your face and you’ll be fine.

Here is a link to the OSHA information and requirements for usage of a laser - https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_iii/otm_iii_6.html

1 Like

anyone else still considering upgrading at the last minute? Been thinking about it all week! I have heavy use in mind for my machine and think the added features of the pro would better suit that. grrrr decisions! :slight_smile:

Do it!!! My wife and I debated for while. Bottom line - going to be hard to get a deal like this anywhere from any company in the near future. This is our chance. We like the pass through,
And the continuous use. That’s what did it for us. The higher wattage is great, but was not a real factor. I have a habit of being a little on the conservative side and then regretting it… Not doing that this time. Bottom line - you are going to have a great product either way. What do you thiink you will be using it for? Tinkering? Something specific?

2 Likes

I did it! Upgraded! Was to scared to miss out and have high business hopes for it lol

I make and sell paper products , product display cards for mostly jewelry like earrings ( backing card used to hang jewelry on retail display) and I want to make custom wooden jewelry trees for earrings and things :slight_smile: and even possibly fancy wood and acrylic dislay cards . Can’t wait !

Marie

1 Like

I’m sure you’ll be VERY glad you upgraded!

Sounds like you did the right thing. As soon as you say ‘hopefull business’ I really feel the Pro is the better move. Better warranty and continuous use. Congrats and welcome to the Party! :smile:

1 Like

I upgraded to the pro + air filter but am now having second thoughts. I want to use it to hopefully start a business. However after reading about the class IV laser dangers, I am getting a little freaked out. I planned on using it in my home office. I upgraded because I wanted the pass through and I did not want to have to run a vent hose out my window. Now I read that that the air filter I paid extra for will not be sufficient to control the fumes. Also my husband and I are planning to adopt some kids. I’m thinking I should just get a refund on the pro and just get the basic plus air filter. Any suggestions?

Laser Classification and Safety is non-trivial. There are a few other threads that treat this issue but the pertinent info is embedded in another topic discussion. Also some discussion would be helpful to clarify for any documentation and manual that gets written.

This may be pointing out the obvious, but it is something that I would have to clarify with anyone who might happen to use my Glowforge. In getting a better grasp on this issue, I think that some clarification is important for Glowforge owners and users because the official classification of lasers seems to mix inherent hazard of the laser itself in with the type of enclosure or use case. Clear distinction between the Pro and the Basic isn’t just about the 5 watt difference. The Class IV for the Pro is because of the pass through slot and risk of the beam escaping through reflection or whatever. The laser in the Basic is just as hazardous to your eyes and skin as the Pro, but the enclosure makes it a Class I and thus safe to use. Violate the integrity of the enclosure and the hazard gets real. Correct me or clarify. Please.

same here on the conservative note. My credit hates me right now, but when I brought up returning the machine in a brief moment of financial doubt my fiance let me know that I “had better not” lol :smile:
Always good to know I have support

2 Likes

Do you have a link to some glasses you would recommend?

I’ve got a couple different kinds, and the ones that Glowforge sells are way more comfortable than the other more expensive ones. Grab a pair of those if you need some:

2 Likes

You don’t need glasses. Glowforge no longer ships them with the Pro. There is no harm in watching the machine while it cuts (that’s a requirement for operation anyway) - nothing comes thru the lid. From the LSO training:

The Glowforge Pro has been tested to ensure that harmful levels are not present outside the case or when viewed through the glass lid.

Legally, they have to warn that it is a class 4 device, that means it would be possible to look into the area where the beam is working (by looking thru the passthru slots) - you would have to try pretty darned hard to do that.

The warning should be sufficient - unless you actually plan to watch your machine at work thru the slot. If the slot covers are in place, it’s a class 1 machine again.

I would suspect the only people who’ve ever worn them were dressed up as Emmet Brown for Halloween…