Best bang for the buck for general practical projects?

I’m not a business.

3 Likes

You can always claim to be an active artist in wood and see what happens. The worst case would be a simple no.

4 Likes

So the one here in Atlanta definitely caters to businesses, but I called them and they just made like a dummy account for me and it was no problem. I’ve gotten stuff from them several times and they never really care if you’re a business or not. Maybe that varies by location or they’ve tightened up the requirements or something but it’s not been an issue.

6 Likes

Could be worth a try someday. I really struggle with making those kinds of calls, it’s hard to explain if you don’t suffer from social anxiety. I don’t need to buy any lumber, so it’s kind of a moot point at the moment, but I’ll probably want it eventually.

8 Likes

Heck, for like $100 you can make an LLC for yourself and then you technically are a business.

5 Likes

You might live in one of those places that doesn’t have a lot of bureaucracy…

5 Likes

yeah it’s super easy and cheap in Colorado but not always the case in other areas.

3 Likes

They have an easy system here, a straight $200 delivery fee, not bad if you are ordering $10,000 in materials but a bit harsh if you are ordering $50 worth.

2 Likes

You can absolutely incorporate online and depending on state of incoporation, you can just do it or have a PO Box which you can rent from anywhere depending on company with a forward to wherever you live.

4 Likes

Delaware and Nevada are the two most popular states to incorporate since they both make the process incredibly easy - and are really bad about taxing corporations. You don’t need to have any thing physically in either state to incorporate there either. The system is broken, but might as well use it if it helps you out!

6 Likes

I hear that Colorado has made massive strides to compete for the incorporating fees as well. Though some of the I think it was residential components may be in the way but it’s been a few years since i tried researching it the pros and cons for various states.

2 Likes

I usually get my pre-cut MDF from Craft Closet.

1/8"x12"x19" is $30 per pack of 10:

Shipping is free if you spend $100+, and they have a rewards program where you get cash off future orders with each purchase, so everything ends up costing a little less if you keep buying from them.

5 Likes

GS2 Awards has a sale on right now on 20 sheets for $49 (reg price $52 for 20 sheets). They also have free shipping on orders of $100.

2 Likes

Yeah and while you can get it cheaper — buying full sheets and cutting it down will be probably a quarter of the price per square foot — the labor costs of doing that aren’t insignificant.

Getting pre-cut sheets may have more value than you might think if you’re trying to do a lot of production work. It’s one of those things that I call “going broke to save money”.

Of course if you happen to have a full-size panel saw then have at it, but almost every other solution for breaking down large sheets of material ends up taking quite a while, don’t undervalue your labor time.

Anyway, the thread is best bang for the buck so if the buck is actually the most important part? Getting full sheets is definitely cheaper, but you pay for it in other ways.

4 Likes