Best & Cheapest prototyping material

I found this thickness guide.

Chipboard thickness is measured by a point system. Each point is 1/1000th of an inch.

Light - 20 pt or 1/42nd of an inch, about the thickness of a cereal box.
XL - 32 pt. or 1/32nd of an inch, about the thickness of a credit card
Extra Heavy - 50-52 pt or 1/20th of an inch, about the thickness of a penny.
2X - 85 pt. or 3/32nd of an inch, about the thickness of 2 dimes.

16 Likes

uline has sheets of chip board and they ship UPS,

https://www.uline.com/BL_1852/Chipboard-Pads

If you order be prepared to get their glossy catalog twice a week! They must spend a fortune in priniting

2 Likes

I finally got them to stop sending me the catalog at my shop, but I haven’t been able to get them to stop sending it to my house.

The catalogs make a pretty great disposable palette for working with pinstriping paints, but I just can’t keep up with the volume they send.

3 Likes

We have had a few businesses at our address over the years and I really think we get 2 a week if not more. I call and email about every two months and request they stop.

2 Likes

Wow. 230 sheets of .050" 11x17 for $56. Nice deal.

DigiKey catalogs work well as monitor stands. Think way back to when people had landlines - they’re the size of a good size city’s phone book.

3 Likes

Excellent suggestion! What material do I select or search for in the interface when using chipboard? The app does not seem to have chipboard as an option…

It doesn’t. I set the parameters myself. If I recall (not at my machine now) I use power 40 & speed 500.

I like using the stuff because it’s not squishy like corrugated cardboard, is really pretty cheap and yet it’s still stiff and holds its structure well so I can reuse jugs and things and not worry about the holes for things getting worn out of shape very fast.

1 Like