Best-smelling Burn

Freezing the Zebrawood might be an option I had not thought of, It is very hard to work without starting it on fire.

1 Like

I would think that any wood that was good to eat something sitting in the smoke of that wood might be pleasant to cut :smile: anyone cut much Hickory?

I bet engraving incense would smell good if you could do it without igniting it.

3 Likes

Would probably not be worse than mahogany,

Could be. But I’ve definitely found differences in smells between burning with fire and scorching/incinerating with a laser.

2 Likes

If I could dedicate a Glowforge to nothing else, I think that making skewers of Trema and saving the smoke somehow might be a business plan (too much competition in hickory)

2 Likes

… and so much cheaper than scented candles…

…oh, wait…

1 Like

Basswood smells like cotton candy. My whole downstairs smelled delicious the other day after my granddaughter and I made a picture frame for her mom for Christmas. :slight_smile:

Last night I scored some wooden blocks from the hobby store to make a puzzle for the gkids, and they smelled like vanilla. I remember @Jules saying BB smells like vanilla, but I haven’t noticed it with mine. The blocks, though, definitely did!

4 Likes

No, that was the padauk. Definitely sweet smelling. :smile:

4 Likes

I think basswood, padauk, and maple would be my top three.

Zebrawood turns into charcoal and does not smell good.

2 Likes

I’ve done actual sugar… Surprisingly, no smell at all!

3 Likes

I have not had the chance to apply a similar process to green clay but at some point I would really like try an intricate design in it.

1 Like

I opened the lid of the Glowforge immediately after the cut finished and got hit with a terrible smell. If I didn’t open it so soon, I probably wouldn’t have noticed the smell. I won’t open so quickly next time.

Cedar. Edged a few signs on a customer supplied “slab” a few months ago… smelled so good.

I HATE the smell of acrylic. And unfortunately, I’ve recently discovered how cool clear acrylic looks properly etched, so I want to do more… Really need to upgrade my exhaust system.

1 Like

Ooh, any tips on best clear acrylic engrave settings?

Surely this will help?

https://community.glowforge.com/search?context=topic&context_id=33489&q=Acrylic%20settings&skip_context=true

Settings get discussed in Beyond the manual, so you might want to limit your searches to there.

Yeah, I was just wondering what was meant by “properly etched”.

Ouch, two passes but hate waiting doesn’t add up! :slight_smile: thanks for the tip!

I have often found that a second pass at low power reduces the charring but multiple passes at low power increases the grain visibility and horizontal lines if the Lpi is low enough.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.