Beta day - four (Wood Inlay)

Love it, did you consider drawing it to scale and using the glowforge camera/software scan it?

1 Like

That was me - @jkopel and I had a conversation this afternoon about if his materials were off-the-shelf or actually represented what we will be selling as the Proofgrade brand; Josh wanted to be sure he wasnā€™t misrepresenting what they were.

The details are that theyā€™re beta materials too; itā€™s custom fabricated plywood, for instance, but there are lots of changes and refinements ahead.

4 Likes

It does!

5 Likes

This is so cool! Is the black line from cutting or did you draw that on?

Wow, that is awesome did you use any type of stain or that is the natural color?

Ah this is killer! really love theā€¦well everything about it tbh. morepls

1 Like

Thatā€™s the natural color of the padauk and walnut weā€™re using for the Proofgrade supplies. Turns out there are a lot of color variations in walnut. You have to pay a premium to get a consistent color. And then you have to pay a premium on top of that to get unusual colors!

5 Likes

One of my favorite things is the variation in color among the same wood; I actually prefer it to consistence, since it can really add a subtlety to oneā€™s art / project and make it stand out.

3 Likes

From personal experience, its definitely a slip fit. You notice the .008" missing.

Nicely done again, Josh! A great project to show how fine of detail the GF is capable of handling, which by the way is amazing. The folks who do intarsia are going to be able to take things to a whole 'nother level.

This is going to make the wait both easier and harder :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: im not worthy :sob: so simple and complex

1 Like

Well done!

1 Like

eck I was hoping that by putting the curf on the outside of keep piece then the interface between two would be sufficient for press fit and avoid adhesives. guess we will wait in see either I design for interlocks or make one of the interfaces undersized. anyway thx

1 Like

@dan Does joshā€™s GF not have the Scan and cut feature? Or was it just a work flow preference from josh.

I always imagined just laying the paper in the GF and having it scan it or resize it.

Oh this will be to much fun! What an awesome use of contrast.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious about cuts like youā€™re describing as well. Iā€™ve used a number of different CAM softwares and they all have the option to select the ā€œsideā€ of the line youā€™d like to cut.

I guess for the time-being Iā€™ll just assume that the Glowforge software will offer the same option. Questions come to mind when I think about the ramifications of such an option when cutting a complex shape like the one shown above, but Iā€™ll just keep them to myself for the moment.

Really cool. Canā€™t wait to make cool stuff like this. Another addition to my Pinterest board!

1 Like

Simple.
Elegant.
Beautiful.

3 Likes

All the cutting software that i have used just center lines the beam. I would bet it stays this way cause the cut has a taper through the material. ie Do you want it on the outside (or inside of the line) on the top or the bottom of the cut (or maybe the midplane), and then you offset depends on the thickness of the material and and the focal angle of the lens you are using. Definitely all solvable variables, but probably something you would want to do yourself, or just write a excel sheet for.

Edit: on top of the complication, the diameter of your focal point could change if you are slightly out of focus, so that adds another layer of complication if you are trying to stay to one side of a line, accurately anyways.

Joshā€™s machine has the scan-and-cut feature, but we broke engraving last week in the software. And to the earlier point, nothing beats a flatbed scanner for precision, or photoshop/illustrator for control of the results.

3 Likes