Beta day - four (Wood Inlay)

I think one reason the phone integration may have confused some people - there are a few buyers that plan to put their laser cutter in an area with no or poor Wi-Fi coverage; in those cases, you can use your phone’s hotspot feature to provide connectivity.

1 Like

I’m a little late to the party but this looks amazing @jkopel :slight_smile: I love the simplicity of the thing and now I know what my entryway has been lacking all this time!

4 Likes

This would make one interesting scarf joint for joining longer lengths of wood.:smile:

2 Likes

That is so simple and yet so rad! :slight_smile:
Nice work!

GAH. I’ve no idea why that didn’t hit me earlier, it’s so obvious. One of those 3G/LTE connected pocket routers would work just as well, too.

Maybe the Glowforge will come with a 3G/LTE SIM slot option built in!! @Dan! To the hopper! :smiley:

2 Likes

Noted! Also have you tried energia yet? it’s a fork of the Arduino IDE that runs on Mac. It can be used as a lightweight programmer/flasher as well. We are working on a cross-OS flasher, but we’re still a few months away from being able to release it.

1 Like

Or will be In December? LOL
:smile:

1 Like

Thanks!
I did look at energia (I am also an arduino user) but was not clear on if it could flash a precompiled hex file, I will look again.
Let me know if you need any Mac beta testers (:rolling_eyes:)

So, it wasn’t an ancient Mayan hieroglyph either, I see. No wonder it was so confusing to read. :wink:

4 Likes

Amazing job, I love it, brings to mind so many ideas!

The more I read the more I envy Josh’s position.

Don’t really think the company is making Josh’s life too difficult. Just the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the development process is so cool. Hell, I’d volunteer to support testing of a Glowforge without a laser tube. (I know, I’m even weirder than most of you think.)

4 Likes

Hahaha! :thumbsup:

That. exactly.

We’re big on paying people who help us. We pay people who interview with us, too. (At least, those who do full-day interviews that involve real technical work).

–dan

12 Likes

Very cool, I dig the contrast.

Absolutely love this.

This turned out great!!!

Next I want to see you try inlays. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! I totally used your methodology here as inspiration for how to deliver this sign for our Lab:

Assembling the twin puzzles was wicked fun. :smiley:

Unicorn-enthusiast kid totally tried to run away with a unicorn, but I’d already glued them down. Ha. :wink:

(Our 6 year old added “Please knock.” Because she is wise.)

Also, I ALMOST didn’t make it sparkly. But then there was the very end of a jar of dark green glitter on a table and it was just too perfect.

24 Likes

That is fantastic, nice work, and your 6 year old is to be commended!

I did this with a quarter once… :rolling_eyes:

7 Likes

I LOVE this. Nice work!!

2 Likes