Beta Project 3_JM - Leather Credit Card Holder

The credit card holder was created in leather in 4 pieces. The solid base, two small side pieces to provide width, and an engraved wrap around strap.

I created the design in Illustrator and used a ton of grid lines to measure out the punch spacing (I have no doubt I took the long way around Illustrator but in the end accomplished my goal!)

Engraved and cut out the strap first to ensure the punches were adequate for sewing … hind sight I should have increased the punch a .mil - Strap went well apart from the paper being hard to peel out of those little spaces since tape was pulling up the first layer of the leather.

After cutting the large panel, found the enclosure cuts were too narrow for the strap. Increased the sizing and successfully lined the new opening up over the panel and cut the opening larger.

In the end figuring out how to knot the thread and sew it together proved more challenging than designing it!

72 Likes

Nice job! I’d say this turned out pretty well. Great idea :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It came out great!

6 Likes

That turned out nicely, my daughters are going to be jealous even though they have no cards to put into one. I’m sure they’ll be asking me to make one for them :wink:

7 Likes

Very nice!
I have been feeling really tentative about working with leather so it is nice to see someone diving in and being successful!

One post that helped me make evenly spaced holes in things using illustrator was this one:

I used his method when I made slipper soles and it worked very well.

18 Likes

wow it is gorgeous! nice job :relaxed: thanks for sharing :wink:

5 Likes

The loose strap is brilliant - it takes something utilitarian and makes it beautiful.

10 Likes

This is fantastic!! Beautiful design!!!

6 Likes

This:

is awesome.

12 Likes

Gorgeous!

3 Likes

Squeeeeeeee! :grin:

5 Likes

Agreed! I thought I have to cut a new piece either way so I might as well give it a try … cut like butter :slight_smile:

10 Likes

This is one of my favorite things people overlook about printing with Glowforge - you can stack operations. I made my daughter an earring and forgot the hole… well, draw a circle, print again, there’s your hole!

17 Likes

Beautiful job. I am so happy to see so many beta users out there now. Keep up the great work. :grinning:

7 Likes

Very nice!
You have been a busy girl!

This. With my granddaughters…
Plan on taking line art of the “Frozen” princesses - scan and replace with wood - engrave.
Scan another line art of of jigsaw shape - replace engraved wood, drop jigsaw on top and cut.
Dirt simple puzzle to take home!

5 Likes

@dan I assume this was a hole in the earring, not in your daughter :wink:

14 Likes

Fantastic! It’s beautiful.

3 Likes

Yeah, great example where I would guess the camera alignment comes in super handy.

1 Like

Despite her ears not being pierced yet, you are correct.

6 Likes

Literally chuckled out loud :grin:

4 Likes