Beta Project: 3D Depth Engrave Initial Tests

Unfortunately I, like most people on the board, don’t have a Glowforge, but I’m not stupid for waiting, right? So I can’t follow along at home directly, but I can fire up the Carbide3D Nomad and give one of these patterns a whirl. And while I can’t do it fast or at as high-rez, it turned out OK:

38 Likes

Oh…thats super cool looking!!

5 Likes

Stunning! What’s the material?

1 Like

It’s 6mm thick black acrylic. I’d used this piece as a shim for some aluminum carving and it looked about the right size (compared to a Bobby pin) to try this out.

8 Likes

It certainly seems to take the relief carving well. This would make a lovely wall hanging or lid to a fancy box.

5 Likes

Does 3d work with pass-through? Any testing on that front?

In theory it should right… right? Please?

Also, these depth prints changed how I see the plans market.

Trinkets, toys, boxes and 2d patterns I can design and have fun doing so. These though, may be out of my league and I want them. Someone will get very good at these.

Wrapping my mind around how to design in 3d grayscale. I’ll also have to do some research into tools to pre-visualize the results.

At best I was imagining doing some Indian block printing, I have a pattern for my walls already:

8 Likes

Will work exactly like regular engraving - but nothing to share yet on either front.

8 Likes

oh man, that guy lining up the continuous zig-zag pattern…

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that video, Chris.
By coincidence, my wife and I found five old printing blocks(minor damage on each of them) in an antique shop in Corinth, MS.
They now hang on the wall, and my guess at how they were used was spot on, but it was a delight to see details of the carving that went into their making.
John

3 Likes

Knowing that’s on the menu is good enough for a few weeks of giddy project planning.

Thanks.

1 Like

NP. Be careful, you can easily spend hours being mesmerized by this technique.

This was the other fantastic video.

These were both posted before, in:

11 Likes

Perhaps(!?!) what might be more appropriate for a forge would be the technique of block making that was passed over in the second video, and that is where a thin metal strip is mounted edgewise in a groove cut into the surface of the block.
We have one of these, and the second video had them, certainly for the fine lines.
Our block seems to have ~1/4" x 1/32" strip pressed into the surface, so I can see that a deep engrave might do the trick.
Much more research needed :slight_smile:
John
EDIT But then 3d printing the surface of the block on the next iteration of the forge head might be a lot easier.
Must stop thinking, and finish breakfast !

2 Likes

So so cool. Thanks for sharing! My imagination just exploded with new ideas… in the best way!

Your design is great but the quality of the Glowforge cut is pretty awful.

Thank you for sharing this, they seem to avoid showing off this feature, maybe this is why.

He said he used manual settings on a very low LPI just for test purposes. I’m sure a higher LPI would yield much cleaner results.

The other 3D engraves at higher LPI that have been shown look really good. Have you seen the glowforge badge they made?

7 Likes

do note that this is a first attempt, at very low resolution, and that he is using a beta machine which may or may not be running the most recent build of this particular software feature… a feature that is still being dialed in last I heard, and improving considerably. I would bet that they will show it off a lot more when they are finally happy with it.

7 Likes

20 Likes

can you teach me how to do this? it’s so cool

1 Like

All the information is here on the forum. Use the search function and prepare to do a lot of reading.

1 Like