Beta Project: 3D Depth Engrave Initial Tests

Wow!! Can’t wait!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

2 Likes

I think there is a distinct possibility that you’ll be able to print and nothing else. I agree that the more restrictive things are, the less attractive they are- I guess we will have to see if different designs will have different licenses.

Let the free market decide if the “cooler” designs with more restrictive uses will sell or not.

1 Like

A couple of them I thought at first were done on some kind of cloth. So pixelation can be a good thing if you are going for a style like that,

2 Likes

As @Jules pointed out, people will be proud of their creations and want to share. As proud as I’ll be of some of my creations, I know I won’t want to share some of them in fear of poaching. On the other hand, if somebody asks “How can I…?” and I’ve come up with what I think is a novel solution, I plan on going out of my way and provide a brand new, basic design representing the answer. That approach should allow me be preserve my designs, while sharing design strategy and helping the community. Similarly, out of respect for my peers, I may ask “How can I create lattice work?” rather than “How can I construct a model of the Eiffel Tower?”

Hope that makes sense! (My brain doesn’t always sound reasonable outside of my own head.)

• Tom
22 Likes

That’s a great solution.

7 Likes

Isnt this why we have a free laser designs category in the first place?
I’ve shared some designs but haven’t shared others…of course I’m not shy about saying no if I dont want to share but its refreshing not to be hounded like on a certain facebook page where I would never share a design again…

16 Likes

Unfortunately I, like most people on the board, don’t have a Glowforge, but I’m not stupid for waiting, right? So I can’t follow along at home directly, but I can fire up the Carbide3D Nomad and give one of these patterns a whirl. And while I can’t do it fast or at as high-rez, it turned out OK:

38 Likes

Oh…thats super cool looking!!

5 Likes

Stunning! What’s the material?

1 Like

It’s 6mm thick black acrylic. I’d used this piece as a shim for some aluminum carving and it looked about the right size (compared to a Bobby pin) to try this out.

8 Likes

It certainly seems to take the relief carving well. This would make a lovely wall hanging or lid to a fancy box.

5 Likes

Does 3d work with pass-through? Any testing on that front?

In theory it should right… right? Please?

Also, these depth prints changed how I see the plans market.

Trinkets, toys, boxes and 2d patterns I can design and have fun doing so. These though, may be out of my league and I want them. Someone will get very good at these.

Wrapping my mind around how to design in 3d grayscale. I’ll also have to do some research into tools to pre-visualize the results.

At best I was imagining doing some Indian block printing, I have a pattern for my walls already:

8 Likes

Will work exactly like regular engraving - but nothing to share yet on either front.

8 Likes

oh man, that guy lining up the continuous zig-zag pattern…

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that video, Chris.
By coincidence, my wife and I found five old printing blocks(minor damage on each of them) in an antique shop in Corinth, MS.
They now hang on the wall, and my guess at how they were used was spot on, but it was a delight to see details of the carving that went into their making.
John

3 Likes

Knowing that’s on the menu is good enough for a few weeks of giddy project planning.

Thanks.

1 Like

NP. Be careful, you can easily spend hours being mesmerized by this technique.

This was the other fantastic video.

These were both posted before, in:

11 Likes

Perhaps(!?!) what might be more appropriate for a forge would be the technique of block making that was passed over in the second video, and that is where a thin metal strip is mounted edgewise in a groove cut into the surface of the block.
We have one of these, and the second video had them, certainly for the fine lines.
Our block seems to have ~1/4" x 1/32" strip pressed into the surface, so I can see that a deep engrave might do the trick.
Much more research needed :slight_smile:
John
EDIT But then 3d printing the surface of the block on the next iteration of the forge head might be a lot easier.
Must stop thinking, and finish breakfast !

2 Likes

So so cool. Thanks for sharing! My imagination just exploded with new ideas… in the best way!