Beta project ten (GearHead Special)

Love it. I am looking forward to do much of the same when I get my GF. So many times I find myself searching for something that will work in a pinch when I could just cut out exactly what I need.

1 Like

Yes! Finally! ! A Glowforge making a part! ! ! Proving once and for all that the Glowforge is not just another pretty machine for making beautiful craft style projects. The GF making of what will be a dirty, grimy, greasy oily part.

A project after my own heart. Thank you Josh. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Josh, this is great. While your creating projects have been very interesting, it’s wonderful to see how you were able to use the GF to quickly create the new gasket you needed to put your milling machine back together.

2 Likes

Nice! With a '52 Willys truck sitting in the garage, this could come in handy.

8 Likes

I know a few guys who would love this!

1 Like

I was wondering when someone would notice. :smile:
There is a number nine, but I am not happy with it yet. I confused myself and forgot to renumber my documents.

8 Likes

I just figured project seven eight project nine…

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9 Likes

The ability to make parts is one of the most epic things I look forward to!

4 Likes

Very cool! And - also, very jealous - they don’t build machines the way they used to - I think even Bridgeport stopped hand scraping the ways on their machines.

FYI; we’ve laser cut poron here in the Glowforge Lab, and it cuts beautifully, if you ever want to try another gasketing material.

-=- Terence

12 Likes

Does that material leak fluids, though?

From your link: “This foam, also known as Poron urethane, has open-cell construction, which allows water, air, and gases to be absorbed.”

2 Likes

Thank you!
“Bridgeport” (now part of a multinational conglomerate) does actually still scrape the ways on their manual machines. You pay for it though with their cheapest model starting at $16k.
http://www.kneemills.com/index.asp?html=Specs

I re-scraped this one by hand (which is why it took a year), and I now think $16k is a good deal!

There are a number of gasket materials I want to experiment with when I get my forever Glowforge. The one I use fairly frequently is a rubber/paper composite, and since both of those materials cut fairly well I am optimistic.
http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-3157-Gasket-Material/dp/B000CNISM2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1462813204&sr=8-1&keywords=gasket+paper&linkCode=ll1&tag=theageofind-20&linkId=97fb6bad5a20ec741b637ff4520b8ddb

Plain old gasket paper should work fine as well.

10 Likes

I look forward to these updates all the time!
I would have never thought of doing that with the forge!

3 Likes

I could have used this technique to replace a disintegrated oil gasket on an old Milwaukee die filer a couple of years ago. Nice job and an interesting old mill!

3 Likes

As car guy this topic gets me excited. We’ve got a couple muscle cars that will be receiving custom bits when our Glowforge arrives. I recently used our plasma table to cut a dash plate for a new heater/AC controller. The plate will ultimately get powder coated black. This whole time I’ve been thinking about how I could use the GF to cut it out of acrylic and how much faster it’d be to reach a finished product.

5 Likes

I use Glowforge at the office to make fixtures and parts all the time, really cool to see it doing the same in the wild!

All biases aside, it’s really a fantastic tool for doing exactly that - you need a part in the lab, and of course nobody makes what you want because you need a beautiful snowflake - so you just print it :slight_smile:

7 Likes

:thumbsup:

:wink:

7 Likes

That is a nice die filer. I have been looking for one of those.

4 Likes

Thanks, I looked for a long time and when I finally found this one it was in really rough shape. I had to do a ton of work to get it running again (and it is a pretty simple tool). I even had to make a gasket!

4 Likes

Nice, with the overarm too. That’s one funky looking motor there. What brand/model is it?

2 Likes

It is a DC motor off a treadmill with a speed controller.
I found that I really wanted to be able to adjust the speed and I had this sitting around.

5 Likes