Bling Box and Tray

Yes I expected them to have different mechanical properties but different smells when evaporated and different chemical resistance to solvents surprised me.

5 Likes

And make a worthwhile career out of!

5 Likes

Clever idea. It’s the temp/time that matters so I would think the method is open to variation.

BTW you can do it in a gas grill if you calibrate it with a real thermometer and not the one that came with the grill :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

When you dig into it I’d be willing to bet those are going to be results of the mechanical differences between the materials.

@Scott.Burns if I’d been born 5-10 years earlier or gone to school somewhere different I likely would have ended up in metallurgy instead of biomedical engineering. I didn’t even know I was going to like materials till senior year when they finally put us in a manufacturing class and we spent a month talking about all the different things you can do to just steel to make it do what you want

3 Likes

It really is fascinating.

My Son took me on a tour of a mini-mill where he was the hot mill metallurgist. I’ll tell you an arc furnace in action is a sight (and sound) to behold!

3 Likes

I’m jealous. Close as I ever manage to get is YouTube. I went to a bronze foundry and got to watch them pour statues once but that was 15 years ago and I didn’t really appreciate it at the time.

4 Likes

That’s a big pour!
I have cast a few pounds at once, seeing a pour of 30 tons of molten steel is mildly terrifying.
They pour the main crucible into three metallurgical crucibles for analysis and adjustment according to customer requirements.

Edit- we’re sorry Jules :grimacing:

1 Like

I made a little baby foundry and then never had the guts to fire it up. It’s just charcoal based… I think I know what I’m doing this weekend

5 Likes

Novus ? will that polish to a high gloss ?

2 Likes

They make it in several grades so you can start with a piece that looks like garbage, start running through grades of sandpaper, then micromesh and finally the grades of Novis to a uncanny shine.

4 Likes

Chuckle! Again, not a problem! Anything that promotes discussion is fine by me. Feel free to chat amongst yourselves. :slight_smile:

Just ordered the small. Something tells me there will be need of it in the future! :smile:

3 Likes

Yes, there are 3 types of Novus
https://www.novuspolish.com

4 Likes

This is the punchline. :slight_smile: I just made a very similar design for some lights at our house, but just a repeating pattern in Illustrator. That is a wicked hard and wicked cool way to do it!

8 Likes

Chuckle! Now is not a good time to tell me there was an easier way! :smile:
(Before. Before is better.) :wink:

15 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

LOL. That’s what she… Nevermind :wink:

4 Likes

Are patterns made in AI supported in the GFUI now?

1 Like

Looking at the remaining skeleton where you cut out the pieces, I couldn’t help but think that it could be upcycled into a nice light box or tea light cube that people make…

5 Likes

Though I don’t have bling to remove when I (ahem) do dishes, ha… that’s pretty damn AWESOME!

2 Likes

I hate that !! Since I’ve been stocking up now for well over a year, I have some stuff I have no idea (I keep looking for the matching invoice then try to figure out what it’s not and narrow it down)

4 Likes