Block print design for fabric

Glad you like it! Laser + fabric + paint, what’s not to love? :star_struck: I’m already deep into all of them, might as well wear the results of my effort.

8 Likes

This is beautiful and a brilliant idea! I’ll be trying this out with some designs later this summer… Thank you for the inspiration.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I hope you enjoy making designs. Please post your work once you are done, I’d love to see it.

4 Likes

Gosh, the stamping came out great! What a cool project.

I’m thinking applying the paint with a brayer would also work.

5 Likes

Your shirt looks so great! Thanks for sharing your experience and tips/tricks for success. Something I definitely want to try!

5 Likes

That is cool! I for sure am going to try it! I am still unpacking so I only have one glowforge set up so far but hoping to finish unpacking soon and jump back into it.

I just got in this heat color changing paint I will have to try it on! Thermochromic Pigments - Rainbow Pack (7 Colors) : ID 4233 : $29.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

13 Likes

I feel like the biggest dope right now. I’m taking a class on making pattern stamps. We’re carving rubber stamps, which I am enjoying. But it never even crossed my mind to apply it to block printing with laser-cut stamps.

I did, however, decide to make acrylic templates for stamp shapes, so I don’t have to measure them out every single time.

This is an awesome bit of inspiration. Thanks!

15 Likes

Play a wrong note once and it’s a mistake. Play it again and it’s jazz.

17 Likes

That would probably be best. In my class, it would have been a pricey bit of kit (we were low-tech), but I’ve got one here at home I should find. Keep a brush handy for multi-color single imprints.

7 Likes

Never heard this one…I love it!

7 Likes

Something that also helps to avoid misprints. If you have some type of adhesive board, like a cricket mat or even cardboard sprayed with repositional adhesive. If you place it in the shirt and then straighten the shirt out, it will hold it in place so the fabric doesn’t slide or lift when removing the stamp. It also prevents bleed through. Just leave it in place until the paint or ink dries, then remove.

13 Likes

That’s helpful, thanks!

4 Likes

That’s a practical idea, thanks! Adhesive will help me hold down some odd-ball cloths that aren’t clothes yet.

Welcome to the community and I hope we see more of you.

6 Likes

There are also spray adhesives specifically for this purpose, formulated not to transfer to the fabric. It is commonly used for screen printing garments. It’s usually a spray, sometimes called platen, palette or, just screen printers’ adhesive.

8 Likes

Odif 505 is popular with quilters and Krylon East Tack also work well.

7 Likes

I am not saying it’s better, but many years before I owned a GF I found a “hoop” at a charity store, primarily desired for embroidery but I’ve used it for iron-on vinyl and laser stuff. I also have a sewing machine that can embroider text and such. It clamps the material as tight as you need.

8 Likes

Yes!! We are short on seamstresses for alterations badly.

3 Likes

You called it; my favorite alteration seamstress closed shop recently. I have reintroduced myself to my serger this weekend.

3 Likes

What kind of sealer did you use?

2 Likes

Just a spray-on clear acrylic. I didn’t want to make the lines appear any thicker; plus, with the use of acrylic paint, it will be moisture resistant in short order.

When I clean paint off the blocks, I use tissue paper (packing material in this case) to sop up the excess before it dries.

2 Likes