1 Like

Nice work! Do yo have a pic of the jig?

1 Like

Gorgeous! I’m in awe of your work.

Here are some pictures of the jig.

17 Likes

Brilliant work on the jig!

These look fabulous!

You could have cut them from the back, removed the crumb tray, and you’d have had closer to 2" to play with.

Did you compensate for the angle of the cut profile? Has anyone ever tried to quantify the cut profile angle? It may be fairly inconsequential.

I assume you had to up the power/drop the speed to get successful cuts, was that difficult to work out (like did you attempt to calculate it with some algebra), or did you just do trial and error?

1 Like

I’ve cut 45º bevels on 8" material on the crumb tray. Just takes a little planning. That’s why I love the jig above. Perfect way to get repeatable dimensions.

(Single pass with focal height set to 1/2-way thru the material. I’ve found I get much cleaner cuts in wood that way. Of course, calculating “1/2-way” in elevated, angled material takes a bit of maths!)

3 Likes

These are interesting proofs of concept but unfortunately they are really not that practical for any sort of production since the setup time is really slow. Using a table saw or belt sander is way faster and easier to accurately reproduce.

1 Like

My GF is a toy. I have never sold anything. I like to solve problems.

(I have three table saws, three miter saws, two band saws, a belt/disc sander, …)

3 Likes

The extra cut-length on the 15-degree angle is about 3.5% of the material thickness. The energy deposit settings (speed and power) used were the same as I normally use. My kerf is typically about 0.007 inches, more than needed for normal cuts.
The angle of the kerf cut is a little over 1 degree. I did not compensate for this … because I didn’t think to do so. Next time, thanks to you, there’ll be an adjustment.

1 Like

Maybe a router would be a good solution for production models. I never sell anything and enjoy trying to solve challenges. Anyway, I don’t have access to a router.

2 Likes

You’ve got this figured out!

Oh, and 4 routers - two in tables, one for hand use, and one in my x-carve CNC… :slight_smile:

This is great work.

Makes a very striking presentation!

This is great! perfect.

This is freaking awesome work :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Nice! I have thought about trying like this myself. No maybe I’ll do it.

1 Like