Braided Leather Wristbands

Oh yes. I have a few siblings and friends with Etsy shops that are eager to share profits if I cut manual labor. Win-win.
And if the Glowforge brings family to visit, all the better. Seems we don’t make enough time for being together. (Says the girl that just finished a 4-day 40-person camping trip…)
Back to the topic… I love your design. Showed it to Dave, my brother, who has the device with razors to cut the braided wristband. He thoroughly approves yours and thinks the Glowforge will cut time and also make cleaner cuts.
Not to mention the capacity for engraving.

3 Likes

Thats a good idea…again something to try…:grinning:

Anyone know if there is a heat (laser) transfer film that can transfer color to leather? I was thinking something like a iron on decal, but that the laser melts and transfers the pattern like carbon paper. My wife would love the mystery braid with the lizards, especially if I could make them blue.

3 Likes

Try thermography powder. You can get it at a crafts store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the US. Folks have also been experimenting with laser toner powder as well and there’s a decent discussion of that here. @smcgathyfay is the resident expert :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You may want to look at http://www.laserbits.com/laser-supplies/laserflex-heat-transfer-sheets.html or http://www.laserbits.com/laser-supplies/laser-foils.html to see how well leather would work as a substrate.
addendum looking at the videos, the foil is not recommended for leather. tandy makes some colors for leather, you may want to ust google “adding color to leather” and look into some inks or dyes that would do the trick.

5 Likes

Very cool. Thanks!

2 Likes

Anyone have the link to the videos? It doesn’t show up for me. Thanks!

1 Like

They took those out with some early forum modifications a few years ago. Just go to Youtube and type “leather braiding” in the search. There are a dozen videos that show how. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you!!

2 Likes

You’re very welcome! They were a favorite of mine when I was a kiddo. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I love the lizards. I rarely do leather but this has me thinking about it.

2 Likes

What size are the blanks you buy? Do you have a good resource to purchase them?

1 Like

Oh, the files are free and included up there in the first post. (It’s a cut your own kind of thing.) :smile: