Building a shop to get GF out of the house

Thanks. Do you have a link for that slider? Looks cool! I like that when the GF is put away, the top is protected. I’m always worried something will fall on the top and break the glass.
I bought an extra-long duct, so right now there are no seams. But the end of the exhaust is not too far from the open door like I said. But all of the scrap pieces of wood that I cut out of all stink as well. So it’s not just during the operation of the forge.

1 Like

Is the city regs actually limiting you to 120 sq ft, or is that just the size you can add without getting a permit? Since you’ll need to run wiring (in addition to the unit & computer, you’ll need to have heat and some sort of fan or A/C to keep the temp in the shed in operating temps), you’d likely be best doing it via a permit anyway, and not restrict yourself to the footprint. And likely want to place it on a poured slab, or at least more pier blocks and joists than normal for a yard shed.

I added a 8x12’ shed for storage only, and it has the slant-roof style, which allows for more vertical storage. But do a lot of checking on shed/out building companies–you want something that will be well made, as well as easy for you to do any modifications yourself.

That’s the limit without a permit. To get a permit, you need to submit a plan and have it approved. You can have electric or water without a permit, but not both. Any unpermitted structure cannot be on a permanent foundation. Either pier blocks or similar. I was going to use at least 8 blocks.

No heat is needed, and air is only needed about 6 weeks out of the year. We just got AC in our house last year, in fact.

There’s also a 5-foot setback on all sides for the foundation. If I didn’t want to stay in the 120sq foot limit, the largest I could go would be 12x14 at the very most. That’s a LOT bigger, but we’ll see.

There’s a guy who builds sheds here on Oahu. Here are his prices with materials. 3-day turnaround.

Here is an 8x12 shed:

3 Likes

Looks like a nice shed–glad only keeping it cool with be your issue! And you’ll always wish you made it bigger… and more windows & vents. Tape or ropes and carboard to test layout is always helpful! And rock wool is great stuff for noise as well as temp insulation… lots of options–but may be more limited & $ier for being on such a lovely island!!

Yeah, doesn’t sound like it has a big Amish community.

3 Likes

So according to the September Air Filter Announcement you should be able in the next 30 days to get an “alternate” air filter from GF direct.

I’ll wait until Mardi Gras for mine, but this might be an option for some of you. We all know that GF time is “wibbly wobbly” (thanks @markevans36301) but still hopeful that we might see something in the next 30 days.

1 Like

If you can do 10x10ish instead of 8x12, I would, even if the flooring isn’t as simple. I like spaces where I can’t touch the walls from the middle, and after you do the requisite 12-18" shelves on one side, 8’ is pushing it. Also recommend going as high as you reasonable can…

But for the most part available material sizes will be the easiest way to figure out the design. If you have only 4x8 for sheathing and flooring, that gives you most of your dimensions. And 8’ studs for the walls…

I’m sorry to hear that the GF had to leave the house – would have been nice if you’d been able to do a real vent arrangement. (I just moved my GF to a different room at the space where I have an office, and I had to to a cut for the new window vent by just hanging the hose out the window. It all just blew back in…

1 Like

If you follow this back you get this :
https://www.amazon.com/BlueDri-Scrubber-Filtration-Negative-Airbourne/dp/B01JHI66VC?pldnSite=1

I expected this to be temporary and I would eventually not need it. However, even though I have not been able to hook it up directly, and did manage to set up a window to pump the smoke out of, I expect it will be useful in many places from places where I was sanding to cooking or painting odors or as we have seen even when everything is working well the last cut before needing a major cleaning will likely smoke up the place. Whatever the cause or problem I have been happy to have it as a solution.

No, sorry. I just googled HD drawer glides, and ended up paying around $80 for the highly rated ones. You could get by with 100 lb. rating, the Machine is something like 76 lbs., I just wanted a little more assurance.
I love the way it rolls back out of the way and is protected. I do a lot of other things inn there.

IMG_20150522_175935676

A real advantage you have here is the opportunity to make it just what you want. That’s fun right there!

4 Likes

I ment something like this https://bofainternational.com/en/find-products/extraction-systems/results/ad-base-1-oracle/

1 Like

Every time somebody talks about customizing a work-space I think of this:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55006

Now I’m off thinking about the next upgrades to my garage. Good luck on your work-space.

5 Likes

Wow. Oh yeah. That vehicle lift dropped my mouth open.

2 Likes

You car probably has a pretty flat bottom too. Just saying… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As a matter of fact. It’s a slab. :thinking:

1 Like

Hey man, If that were in my garage floor, I would have a set of dedicated blocks to accommodate whatever!

1 Like

Make it so :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a 6x12 corner inside a garage framed in, insulated, paneled, and an old glass door put on it. No exterior access. A supplemental fan on exterior vents GF air really well. It is enough room, however, I’m not yet ‘living’ with my GF full time yet! :blush:

1 Like

If the smell were the only issue, this might help. And why is the blue one $200 more than the other colors?
The scrap pieces of wood and acrylic laying around stink for days afterwards.

1 Like

Thanks. The carpenter came by today and took measurements. I can definitely push it to 9’ wide, maybe 10’ wide. 14’ is my max the other way, because of a rock wall. So 10x12 if I want to stay cool with the city. I went into my driveway and marked 8x14, and with my design it might work. Basically it’s 3 walls, the middle one being the 14’ length. Then the 4th side, a 1’ wall on each end, then a 12’ wide “garage door” style door that opens way up; awning-style. I could have my workbench/tablesaw/glowforge along the big door that opens so that one side would be “open” for moving big pieces of wood around.

I’m going to sketch something up and post it. He told me obviously this will cost more, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

1 Like

I really need to make it easy to use the passthrough slot. I have to either make the room very wide, or somehow put the entire glowforge on a track that I can move it over/around the long piece of wood. Could add stepper motors and make it very accurate. hmmm