Building a shop to get GF out of the house

My preference (not that you need care) is for the 9x13 or 10x12. If you mount the GF sideways you would have the most passthrough room, but the diff likely isn’t that important. You’ll need some kind of infeed and outfeed supports. Are you OK on cooling, or do you need somewhere for that too?

1 Like

Rockler Woodworking has a large variety of Drawer Glides. And they have them from lightweight to really heavy duty.

I have a set that will be used to house our canned goods in the pantry. I should point out that those slides were supposed to into our old house, but we moved before I could build them. so they are now going into the new house’s pantry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just searched for carbon filter on eBay. I got an 8” by 24” for about $70, be warned it’s 60 pounds so that might be tough to Hawaii…

I have a room that is about 10x11 dedicated as my laser area. I believe the key to be high-quality casters. My Pro is on a heavy-duty, rough-carpentry table (originally built for a different project). I added some good casters to it. It’s just a little wider than the glowforge, but has about a foot or so of “extra” table to the front and rear of the :glowforge:. This helps when feeding long pieces through the pass through slot. The table is leg-to-leg braced front and back, but open on the sides. I have a 2.5 gallon air compressor and a tiny little shop vac under the table. The compressor sits on a square of plywood and its four casters so it rolls in and out (cheap casters.) The vacuum is just shoved down there. Mounted on the front legs of the table are the battery chargers for my Ryobi One tools. Clamps decorate it wherever they fit and don’t get in my way. Here is a pic that barely shows what I’m talking about:
LaserTable

Across from the laser table is a 6x4 foot high table with two shelves. It is on casters as well. When I have long pieces to feed through the glowforge I can do a little dance with the tables so material can be fed in and out in the space provided. There is also a box of small clamps and of course things have found a home on any flat surface. I’ve learned to move them from here to there and back again to make room for my projects. Here is a pic of the work table when it was new and not nearly as cluttered as it is now:

I would love a big work shop, but that’s not happening any time soon. A small space just means a lot more time is spent shuffling stuff around to make it work.

5 Likes

It sounds like paradise has a couple of downsides, but at least your spray booth is open 365 days a year. Assuming it doesn’t spring a temporary leak. Mine will be closing soon for the winter. I’m thinking I’ll become a seasonal laser worker, wood projects, spring, summer and fall; leather projects in the winter. It’s probably a very hipster thing.

Me a hipster :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Maker paradise ;p

1 Like

It is for me my friend. That’s a lifetime of tool gathering, If it doesn’t have a room like this in it - it’s not home. You should see @karaelena’s workshop. He could build spaceships.

3 Likes

A very nice rolling mill! Is there a centrifugal caster out of the view?

1 Like

Yes, it’s my own design, engineered to eliminate the hazard of using rapid circular motion to induce linear movement in molten metal.
I’m quite proud of it. Here is a short video of its operation.

I seem to remember something like a broken arm caster but had forgotten that one. In our previous discussion I mentioned the wood stove and wet newspaper I had used at the most primitive times . (the video is not available to outsiders)

1 Like

Oops… think I fixed it…

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.