But can it make shoes?

Not entirely laser cut but that was since I only had proofgrade stuff to work with at the time. :smile:

5 Likes

Some days I think you’re just baiting us into making comments…

8 Likes

Was at a buddy’s sister’s wedding. He started laughing and pointed out to his cousin(who I went to school with), "Yo Jeff, you’re moms dancing to this.“
After the necessary moment of embarrassment passed I felt it necessary to reply, 'Don’t laugh too hard, so’s your mom!”

The song in question? The Thong Song.

2 Likes

Once again, we are into the realm of words which clearly mean something totally different here.

8 Likes

I am really happy to hear I’m not the only person who thought of making shoes. XD

1 Like

henryhbk is just as bad - sheesh, he even put it in italics :

1 Like

I actually speak in italics…

4 Likes

Yeah, around the Chesapeake bay they’re called Flip Flops. But for those that were really confused, Dan meant these…

Not these…

First heard them call “thongs” about 2 years ago and went through an identical period of “what?”

15 Likes

That doesn’t appear to be your standard thong! That looks like a party version Hahaha

9 Likes

Because they are blue? :smile:

4 Likes

It’s a generational thing. From Wikipedia:

The term flip-flop has been used in American and British English since the 1970s to describe the thong or no-heel-strap sandal. It is an onomatopoeia of the sound made by the sandals when walking in them.

6 Likes

Oops, didn’t notice the adjustment. Picture changed.

4 Likes

Aww, the other picture made me LOL when I saw it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good thing you changed the image.

Because I just realized from your post that the two different kinds of thongs aren’t just identical in name - they are also topologically identical!

2 Likes

i mean…this is why they’re both called thongs.

thong just means a strap, though if you go back far enough, i believe it stemmed from language about clamps.

those are “Shower Shoes”

idly wonders whether there’s a comparative regionalism thread somewhere

1 Like

Imagine if your area was land locked then shower shoes is accurate. Those were our primary foot wear for most of the year. Locals were accused of having webbed feet because we were always in or on the water.

Took that skiff out every day crabbing and fishing with no parental supervision. A great way to grow up. Nothing but million dollar homes there now.

9 Likes

Oh I’m mostly teasing. It’s one of those weird nomenclature things that isn’t a regionalism at all but comes from the insistence of several 6’+ angry men shouting about it for thirteen weeks. I don’t actually call them shower shoes.

2 Likes

Thongs!!! What kind of a place are you runni…oooh…wait…you probably meant flip flops…

:blush:

4 Likes

Oh, me too! It IS a very generational thing, although Dan is not that old. It’s taken me a very long time to call them flip flops.

1 Like