Car Decals

Thanks, if I can find one for 200 I’ll probably do this.

1 Like

I have the cameo and the Curio. They finally have all the accessories available for it. I would recommend Swing Design as the vendor or wait till black Friday. Two years ago I picked up the cameo and a portrait for $300… sold the portrait for 150 on amazon.
The cameo is the work horse, but the thick blade only works with the curio. I have stipple blade and metal sheets en route right now.
As far as design; don’t design in the silhouette if you want to use that design anywhere else. Even the pro version is locked to their program.

Fun fact: graphtec is the manufacturer for silhouette

But I can use svg and other formats on the silhouette by importing right?

Exactly. I also import DXF. The software library is actually one of the easiest I ever used. You can import several file types and vector them in the studio software. Even photographs ( for pen and stipple). Adding pens and pencils is a great treatment for photographs as well. The cameo is a lot of bang for the buck. My neighbor uses hers to cut fondant for her cakes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight, I’m going to have to come up with better storage if I keep adding maker machines.

I believe the silhouette studio requires an upgrade (Designer Edition) to read SVG files.
The upgrade is just a card with a redemption code on it, and you can find them pretty cheap on amazon ($27).

2 Likes

I couldn’t remember if svg import was part of basic or was why I upgraded. I have made cut files from screen captures as well. I am working on a highly detailed topographic map of my region, which is rolling hills and plenty of water. It is very dense cut lines and the software handles it really well.

Yup, just confirmed it on Amazon, need to upgrade to read svg, but hey, 25 bucks.

$179 on Amazon right now. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAX7H78/ref=gbps_img_s-3_4782_b0fbd050?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2292984782&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01935EZS5NV27ZM8S6HX

1 Like

Aside comment: paying $25 for added capability just doesn’t cut it (ha) for me. I know companies have to make a living and tiered pricing is an important strategy but the whole idea of locking in and then selling keys is distasteful and does not engender loyalty to me. It seems Glowforge has a different model at work. That is a big plus.

4 Likes

I actually paid full retail (50). Yes it was a bit of an insult. Especially considering my designs cannot be exported for use with let’s say glowforge. I learned early on to create elsewhere and just do minor adjustments in the studio software. They are trying to protect their design store and I understand that. But my intellectual property is tied to their software. At least the early ones. Anything I need of those I will just cut and put in the glowforge when it arrives. Easier than re creating.

1 Like

Screenshot while you have whatever their software is up and running.

Place in Adobe Photoshop

Magnet Lasso

You have now exported!

This of course assumes you have photoshop, if you do not, there certainly must be other tools. And you can likely get away with using “Select Color Range” which I know is available in all manner of alternative software.

3 Likes

Also on sale at overstock http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Silhouette-Cameo-2-Electronic-Cutting-Machine-Bundle-Bonus-25-Gift-Card-Holiday-Vinyl-Starter-Kit-Accessories/9508441/product.html?refccid=7HHPUI4LLF7KQQCEBK2PA45WYM&searchidx=1

1 Like

GIMP (open source) has several ways to do it, but Select by similar color works as does a lasso.

I own a Bosskut which was the best fit for my needs in 2013. If I had to buy it today, I’d get a KNK Zing because of the wireless option

I highly suggest getting Make the Cut software as it supports SVG importing and it’s more user friendly then the original cutting software BossKut comes with.

1 Like

I had thought my 20" vinyl printer/cutter and GF meant there was no need for a craft cutter in my arsenal. However, after this thread and some additional research, I ended up buying a Silhouette Curio today mostly for the embossing and stippling features.

I hope you also got the larger base. The base that ships was a little petite for my taste. The larger base is worth every cent in my opinion. I took the plunge on their black Friday sale and stocked up on consumables. 40% off is amazing for the quality. I went ahead and got their embossing paper last week (at full price - yowza) but haven’t tried it yet.

Yes, I got the larger base. I don’t think there would have been much value for me with the smaller base.

1 Like

Stumbled onto this post again today. @johnwills. Do find you use the Curio much? I got it early on and wasn’t very satisfied with embossing and the way the mats work. I wasn’t able to get the stippling blade early on because of shortages. I went back to the Cameo and ever tried stippling. Its recently been moved to the basement. Does stippling and etching work OK? If so, I may get a blade and give it a try.