Cardboard geodesic dome

They used pipe cleaners for clips - kinda brilliant for those of us who don’t have/don’t want a 3D printer! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great Idea. I though it might be 3D printed object from the picture.

1 Like

wonder if we could figure out how to make a tiny one with holes aligned to be a planetarium projector for inside the dome… :smiley:

awesome work, looks amazing. I may have to build one for our cats since our daughters are a bit too big for that one.

1 Like

That’s so awesome! (And I’m dangerously inspired by @macphee’s planetarium suggestion, too!) Are you willing to post your Illustrator files? I’d love to scale this up for a couple kids who might not fit in that particular size… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gentle reminder - it is not allowed to ask others for their files.

4 Likes

perfect choice of fasteners, given the material. I also like how, in the inside view, the symmetry of the cuts and shapes is broken up by the randomness of the amazon box markings.

2 Likes

You’re never too big for a cardboard geodesic dome!

1 Like

OMGsosorry. My reflexes come from working at a non-profit where all our software and content is open source! :blush:

Thanks for the community minding. I’ve been both lurking and 'forging for a looong time, but I guess I ought to read up on the norms before I start posting too much more!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback and I love the planetarium suggestion. My goal is to make this an easy to assemble, mass produced kit for kids to learn about geodesic structures and to play in a sculpturally elegant designed space. This was the largest size I could make without splitting panels or using the pass through slot. I’m exploring tab designs with the next version and will combine panels with a score line to reduce the complexity of assembly. The pipe cleaners worked well but were tedious and difficult, hence I’m exploring other fastening ideas. It would be nice as a quarter dome in a classroom reading corner, or a calming meditation space for adults constructed in wood, or a waterproof version for outdoors play so I’m looking into lots of possibilities. I have even thought of making a small version in paper to give to people as gifts. Lots to work on, stay tuned!

4 Likes

Dr. Walther Bauersfeld would approve!

1 Like

Awesome. You could also make smaller kits for cats!

1 Like

Wonderfully designed and executed.

1 Like