Carved Santa Pencil

Yes I carved them using some wood carving tools. Could knock one out in 30min or so. Gave away to family and friends. Took 3.5min to make on GF Plus.

6 Likes

Great job! BTW magnets can cause fan errors/issues so as long as the honeycomb pins are working for you I would highly suggest sticking with them.

You are off to a such a good start and obviously have done your homework.

1 Like

Niiiiice!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. The pins work great thus far.

2 Likes

That’s fabulous

Before you try stain, you might try washing it off - I use a toothbrush and hand sanitizer, others use everything from toothpaste (not gel) to Fast Orange, but give it a scrub and see if removing some of the ash brings out the carving :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you deirdrebeth! Great advice. I just uses running water and a stiff brush. Didn’t even think to clean the debris off! Newb move forsure. Before and after pic.

14 Likes

Wait, you just got your Glowforge and you have Snapmarks? Or are you using the fiducial ruler in some other way? That’s not a feature we all have and they’ve stopped development on it so I’m very curious as I never got them and am still quite bitter about it.

1 Like

The snapmarks wouldn’t work the way he’s got it aligned. I suspect he’s using the new precise positioning tool.

They don’t work vertically? Interesting.

They work fine in that orientation. Your guides just have to be rotated somewhere close to match (within about 30º seems to be fine, but no reason you wouldn’t have them at 90º.)

image image

3 Likes

Yes. This is a great share. Thanks for getting this idea out there in the wild!

I stand corrected!

1 Like

Great share. I’ve always been fascinated with pencil carvings but was hesitant to give it a try. This is a great alternative to manually carving them.

1 Like

bonus is your fingers aren’t as tired using the GF… this is great looking! Thank you for sharing all the information and I learned something new today. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much. I just showed these to my mother-in-law (MIL) and she wants me to cut them for the family reunion this Fall for the children’s treasure hunt at the Farm. Inexpensive but going to be very popular with the children we have no doubt! …we might hide them behind the Fairy doors I am cutting that she will be painting for the treasure hunt. That design is amazing.

1 Like

That’s awesome. I’m glad you like them.

2 Likes

Thank you. That was fun.

7 Likes

Wow, that looks awesome! I’m working on expanding the sides of the design as well. Should be able to rotate in jig ±90deg, then laz the sides and maybe even the back for a full look. If I get that worked out, I’ll post those files as well. I’ve been working a few other projects in between home schooling my 13yr old son every other week and working from home full-time.

4 Likes

I have no idea HOW you get the different depths … this just amazes me. I hope I see the files when you post, I definitely will want to try it out and then show my in-laws!

1 Like

That’s what the vary-power setting does - it engraves deeper the darker the art is, and shallower the lighter it is. It only works with rasters, but it’s fabulous