CE Markings & Importing Pro into the UK (HSE)

@markwal - thanks for the link. But I think @brokendrum was talking about some software switch that prevents the laser being used if the slot shields aren’t in place. I’ve looked here - https://glowforge.com/support/topic/safety/safety-overview#Laser-safety - which implies that such a thing exists:

These materials will train you to operate your Glowforge Pro in Class 1 conditions, which do not require additional special precautions.

Unfortunately, these are only being emailed to Pro users at shipping. I wish they would make these documents available for download to anyone, so that we can see if we can follow the recommended advice beforehand.

It’s looking likely that I’m going to downgrade to a Basic. If I do, it’s still going to be fascinating and a lot of fun, but it grates a little that Glowforge isn’t a little more forthcoming to make this decision clearer.

Not to speak for him but I assume he was speaking from a regulations standpoint. There is no software/hardware detection/switch that disables the use of the laser if the shields are not in place.

As for downgrading, guess you have a choice to make. That stinks. I wouldn’t let any little regulations convince me one way or the other though - especially when they state it’s not an offense for you to buy it (and presumably use it). But, that’s just me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jbmannnig5 is correct. The document is a walk through of safety regulations necessary to make the Glowforge acceptable (safe) to use when the pass through slots are removed. The assumption is that the owner//user will be the adult in the room and follow the guidelines.

As long as you have the guards in place, however, the thing is as safe as a toaster.

4 Likes

I appreciate that. It may seem like a short instructional course is a small thing that we could just post, but we actually spent an enormous sum of money preparing it for you, and while we’re not charging you for it, you’d likely pay over $1,000 to have a similar educational document provided by anyone else. (I know, I’ve purchased and read several of them!) So owning the document is an exclusive perk of Pro ownership.

Should you have any questions about recommended procuedures, though, I bet the folks here who’ve read it could answer them.

And to address your question there: no, the software does not have an interlock related to the slot, only the lid and the rear (optional, rarely used but legally mandated) door interlock connector.

I appreciate that you want to differentiate your two products. And also that you’ve spent a lot on creating these safety materials (the courses I’m looking at also cost four digit numbers). But that’s now a sunk cost (unless you’re paying some sort of fee per copy sent) and in my case releasing the materials would better the odds of me sticking with the Pro.

Coming back to this: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/safety/safety-overview#Laser-safety

• which says:

These materials will train you to operate your Glowforge Pro in Class 1 conditions, which do not require additional special precautions.

Can anyone with the training materials explain what “class 1 conditions” means? Does it mean not needing to wear safety goggles, for example?

Thanks again,

Joshua

If you fasten the pro shields and take the necessary precautions to avoid having them removed (ie don’t allow the machine to be in the sole custody of mischievous teenagers) then you can operate it like you would a Basic.

1 Like

Yes. No special precautions or other equipment (beyond using the GF as designed - don’t override the safeties) needed for Class 1.

Class 4 exposes the operator to potentially harmful lasers so laser safe glasses for all people in the room are required whenever the shields are not screwed in place blocking the slots.

2 Likes

The reason for the complicated verbage here is that the device class applies to the device and it’s intended usage. It’s a Class IV device no matter what, but you can attach the shields and it behaves like a Class I device for all intents and purposes. So they call it “Class I Conditions”.

2 Likes

And if you’re using it in a commercial establishment (not a single person crafts person making things for sale), OSHA has certain requirements for policies & procedures that the Pro training applies to.

1 Like