Changing from wood to food

I would also take a close look at any stretch wrap or other cover and think “do I want bits of it in my food?” and even more importantly “What does it break down to when heated?” Chlorine, Sulfur, and Cyanide would all be deal breakers

4 Likes

Just put a tray replacement (stack of 1/4" boards or something) with aluminum foil on top and then put your food on that.

No need to mess with the tray.

2 Likes

Oh right ok that’s a good idea… thanks

NP. I’m a “laser food heretic” myself :slight_smile: Considering all the stuff that’s in the air, food stuff (pretty disgusting if you read what the FDA allows in food) and cleanliness (or lack thereof) in restaurant and other kitchens, I’m not too worried about a bit of smoke and wood residue. I don’t mind eating over a campfire even if the fire is laser-induced :slight_smile:

6 Likes

In general I look at it from a historical perspective, folks did die from food born illnesses but as a percentage of the times they ate; not so much, And common place issues like floors today would be super clean then. However the historical situation with 3d lasers is much shorter and lasered salt will still provide fumes not good for a laser, as is the case with other things.

1 Like

:smile: that’s true too. Only that I would have liked to sell some food but if it smells and isn’t good for health in anyway then won’t be possible.

It would be hard getting a health certification to sell food for even a new Glowforge I think.

2 Likes

Yeah but I’d feel guilty especially if someone get ill :grimacing:. I guess il test on myself first

1 Like

Even if you don’t get ill from it, as @rbtdanforth pointed out it’s very unlikely you could get a health certification for it, which would be necessary in order to sell food items.

2 Likes

I’m not sure observing whether or not you feel ill over some short time horizon is a good metric for “safe.” Maybe track cancer rates between large populations of GF food ingesters vs. non-ingesters over several decades and, revisit this. :wink:

2 Likes

Scheduling time for the great correlation is not causation thread war of 2030.

4 Likes

:rofl:

Well, obviously, you need a more structured experiment with additional controls.

IANAMR (I Am Not A Medical Researcher)

2 Likes

What?!? And wreck the Internet. If we took that approach it would just be full of helpful information and cute/funny time sinks. Curses!

Wouldn’t really matter though. People would only read the pop-sci summary of the study abstract and fill in the unknown with their own uninformed reasoning. It’s just easier to skip the hard parts of the study; you end up at the same place. :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah I might just get somewhere with this gf. Been a headache for me so far, or should I say been made a headache for me :unamused:

China did this and found a traditional food was reducing lifespans for the last several hundred years, and a small change could reduce the risk. Would freak folk out to do that here but a number of glaring examples are already known.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.