Changing the laser tube

Almost a joke. From that 2015 thread when asking Dan about user replacing the tube; “Yes! We have some really slick engineering from Mark to make that possible without much fuss.” And then they turned around and made tube access as difficult as possible.

2 Likes

I don’t recall anyone being sold (and replacing) one.

1 Like

I don’t have any complaints about my GF laser. It has done what I needed at what was initially a reasonably low cost.

But I have always had significant eye rolling with the “truthiness” of their operation. From 18 months of implying production was imminent, the obviously unworkable design of the initial filter, supposedly easily replaceable tube, true warranty costs for International purchases. I tend to parse statements from for profit entities for what it is not saying. When they said the lawyers were stopping them from providing a drop in tube replacement kit it was already obvious that the capability had long been designed away and that technically, yes the lawyers didn’t like the idea. So let’s just blame it on the FNLs.

7 Likes

I can think of a couple of tubes damaged in shipment and replaced under warranty but I have not heard of a tube “used up”.

I “used up” my first tube. Power had gradually diminished and I was no longer able to cut through 1/4" materials consistently, even after slowing down significantly from PG settings. I had replaced all of the optics in the machine – lens, mirror, both windows, and the air assist fan to no effect. Glowforge charged me the tube replacement cost ($499) and I swapped machines.

3 Likes

I’ve had my machine for exactly 8 weeks only, so I don’t have all the context of ppl like you that founded the starts of the company (but I’ve founded a few others, so I know how the objectives/promises change over time).

For what I’ve so experienced so far, my conclusion is similar: great laser cutter, great community, great employees behind technical support, but I don’t feel the same about the “corporation”. Not a fan of their “corporate values”.

Not against of them making good profit, God forbids me! (:-)), but there are different ways of getting my money, and their ways seems on the tricky/deceiving side to me.

CO2 laser tubes are “consumables”, similar to old-fashioned filament light bulbs except they also have a shelf-life, whether in use or not.

2 Likes

They lose money on tube replacements. Shipping alone is more than what they charge.

2 Likes

The really old-fashioned ones lasted very much longer. It all depends on the design choices made. My understanding was that the Glowforge lasers were not pushed as hard as others, trading longer life for less power, which trading for higher power was why the filament light bulbs also lost longevity over time. I suspect that decision is being made about LED room lights as well.

1 Like

Yup, that is the regular sign that you need a new tube. Just like when you star having faded prints in a regular printer, and you have to swap ink cartridges.

With my Hobby Gen5 it costs $179 an takes less than a couple of hours. No need to pay for shipment. Not sure what the price is for the Muse, but the procedure is similarly simple.

Om the bright side, getting a “new refurbished” Glowforge for about $700 (assuming shipping is around $200 and no extra charge for labor) with a 90 day warranty, sounds like a good deal. It is just that I don’t like being forced into a deal. That are not good business practices.

You know, given the option I may opt for skipping one tube and then refurbishing in the next one, then having a “new refurbished” printer every ~4 years.

Nobody’s quite sure how or why, but the laser tube is available on eBay if you want to DIY it some day.

The seller also sells Glowforge lid assemblies.

2 Likes

I guess you mean shipping the entire machine with the tube. Do they charge $500 total? No shipping no extra labor?

Well, in my company, we don’t like to lose money, and we never give it away. It is a bad business practice to do it. Since glowforge ppl are smart, I would assume they do not base their regular cash flow from consumables being a cash bleed.

A 40w laser retail cost is $179 in Amazon (as posted in previous link, and yes, I use those), so, maybe less than $100 to produce - I bet less than $50, but lets say $100. Shipping a box like this a logistic company (specialized freight) is about $250 continental US, but if you have a corporate agreement, it is way lower. But stay with this price. Then, costs are around $350, which renders a profit of $150, a 42% gain. Not bad.

$499 total including shipping the entire machine both ways. Shipping is done by FedEx, not a freight carrier. Especially during the fall/winter when holiday surcharges are in effect, it can cost almost $300 to ship a Glowforge across the country at commercial rates. That means shipping alone adds up to more than the $499. The reason it’s $499 is that’s the price they promised in a Q&A in 2015 or 2016, and they’ve continued to honor it despite cost increases.

That’s the kind of corporate values they have. They put customers over profits on a daily basis. There’s a hundred stories here and on social media of people that any reasonable person would conclude damaged their machine through user error, or the machine likely isn’t even damaged at all, and Glowforge throws away $$$$ mailing them new machines at no cost anyway because they’d rather provide good service than nickel and dime people. The current backlog in response time for the support team is not how it’s always been.

4 Likes

The Glowforge is not a “business” machine. It’s for light crafting use.

Dan stated that in the post I quoted above.

Go to a professional sign shop and ask for some vinyl. You won’t see a Cricut or Silhouette there.

2 Likes

Ha! @dan84 you’re good at sourcing! :slight_smile:

It seems like a regular CO2 45W laser tube, 850mm.

As mentioned before, it is not only the part but also the procedures to change the tube (should be part of the Standard Procedures of the machine). This comment on the eBay is interesting:

Of course, it could be just a fake post :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting that the seller is in Texas, a few hours’ drives from my place … already asked if they have the info on how to change the tube, or the seller who claims that they changed it. Let’s see!

Art, if you are ‘making a profit’ DON’T POCKET the $ - Invest in a second back up glowforge, before the PRICE INCREASES. everyone on here can give you a discount for $500 off (of a Pro)

Jonathan

I seem to recall that now.

One of the prior outsourcers was based in TX, and perhaps someone picked up the remaining inventory.

2 Likes

Glowforge is manufactured by Flex, Inc (formerly Flextronics). They have one or more production lines in Texas. From there, Glowforges used to be warehoused and fulfilled from Cynergy in Grapevine, Texas. They may have changed fulfillment partners at some point in the last few years; they definitely did for spare parts and Proofgrade materials. Someone speculated that either this was a former parts supplier to the factory and they’re selling an old revision of parts that Glowforge opted not to buy, or Glowforge opted not to pay to relocate these parts when they moved to a different warehouse for fulfillment. Either way, it’s not an official channel.

4 Likes

I know it is not a business machine, that’s why I’m comparing it with a similar hobbyist machine with a similar price range, quality and manufactured in the USA, in particular, the Hobby G5, that I know and own. I don’t own a Muse, but I know it, and it is a direct competitor of Glowforge (price, power, functionality, etc).

Again, I like the glowforge, I like the technology, but I don’t like not being able to do what I know is a simple procedure like changing the tube because it was designed this way from the beginning.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, MacGeek.

Not, this machine is just for fun, not for business. Part of the fun (for me, I know we all are different), is doing mods and tinkering with the toys. I may not be able to do it with the glowforge.