China is manufacturing one of my files..advice?

Thank you for that link @deirdrebeth.

And thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I’ve had a few days to think things over, and let it settle in my heart a bit…and although it sucks, I’m not one to make any art and hide it in a closet. It’s meant to be seen. And I will never stop creating!
I’ve also recently been accepted as a designer for the catalog here, and I’ll start slow, but I might put more of my focus on that, as my personal files/ideas will be much more protected.

@Aloha, it’s my honeycomb earring organizer. I spent months perfecting that one design, for selling my handmade earrings at shows and markets. It’s exactly what I wanted/needed. Which is why I love having a laser cutter…can’t find what you’re looking for? Make exactly what you need!
Here’s a pic of it.

And upon closer inspection of the chinese ones…some of the tiny earring holes have been moved around slightly. But that still doesn’t make it theirs.
And the would poop here again sign…I saw that in a bathroom at some restaurant somewhere and decided to make my own, to leave in my sister in laws bathroom when we visited. haha.

7 Likes

That is a great design! I love the honeycomb!
Thanks for sharing. Keep on designing!!!

1 Like

That’s really nice! I have all my earrings laying in piles in my jewelry box. Yours makes a great wall display.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: A lot of thought went into it. What I have on mine (and is included in the file), is a back piece I cut out of fabric. A thin cotton works well, and all the holes are lined up for the earrings still. But if you choose to use that part, it’s not for necklaces. But I use it at market because it helps when the wind blows…my earrings don’t go flying. And you can pick a fabric that will make your earrings pop. I also took it a step further and after I glued on the fabric, I edged it with copper tape, and it looks really nice!

Just some ideas for others works :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A very long time ago I invented an inertial drive device. It would never have worked of course, but it was hard to figure out why it would not work until a rather brilliant physics student explained it in a couple of seconds and it was immediately obvious why it would not work. Very disappointing :sob:

What makes this relevant is that I have seen “my” invention show up several times since, usually as a news story of some great breakthrough that will have mankind flying through the universe, and they would have a working model soon. They are of course never heard from again but they have couched their description such that I can recognize it.

The point being that, given a set of circumstances, the universe does the designing and even bad ideas coalesce to the same design that we can only add flourishes. So the hydrofoil designed by Alexander Gram Bell is the same as my design some sixty years later without knowing it had already been done or hundreds of years before that the inventor lacked only the means of mechanical propulsion. So if you will concentrate shapes and come up with a pattern of hexagons, then the bees were way ahead of you. But if your hexagon was a deeper set of flourishes, that had thousands of possibilities but your eye settled on one particularly pleasant and useful then you are in a different ballpark. So if another copied your work to every twist and curve that would be a different level of stealing than if they saw your work and inspired by it chose a different one of those thousands.

Sadly such logic is not how things are done and Wayfair or Disney is far more able to force their theft on you (think little mermaid etc) than you are on them (think Apple trash can) and it is ultimately power and money that makes the decision and not the right of it. If there is a direct copy that you sold them, and they sold against the contract you made, and they are the same size as you, then you have the issue. But even the “exclusive” sales through Glowforge is by nature of the beast rife with such issues that have far more gray than black or white no matter which side of the fence you sit on.

4 Likes

Yes. All of what you said.
There really isn’t much truly new anymore, things just have their own twists and turns. How many different ways can you make a box? Honeycomb patterns have been around for ages. I’ve seen several times stories like yours, about having an idea, only to find someone else had the same one, around the same time, and theirs was better, or recognized.
This reminds me of a story I heard years ago about monkeys on two different islands. I did a quick google search and found the story I was thinking about.
https://dreamcatcherreality.com/hundredth-monkey-effect/
To sum it up, the monkeys on one island learned to wash potatoes because they didn’t like eating the sand stuck to them. And somehow, on an island 15km away, the monkeys over there learned the same thing, and no one knows how. I’ve heard it said that some ideas drop into our reality, and some catch them, some don’t. Some do something with it. Some don’t. It’s just an interesting idea to me, that a bunch of people can all get the same ideas, at the same time. Like the monkeys who were disconnected from each other, but learned the same thing. There’s just so much more going on in this world than what we can see with our eyeballs.

Anyways, here’s a picture I snagged off of Wayfair, for example. It looks awfully close to mine…
And yes, same size. Just under the glowforge bed size. Hmm, I wonder why they chose that? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Because: Thermodynamics.

Doesn’t even take 2 seconds if you say it fast enough.

Now, if you’d come up with an Infinite Improbability Drive, that would have been harder to poo-poo. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The hexagonal cell shape of honeycomb is due to the surface tension of the wax.
The bee make a round cell and then heat the wax. No engineering prowess needed to get the hexagonal array. Honeybees are good chemists since they can turn sugar into a wax that they are able to change in form and composition.

3 Likes

I believe it was Japanese Macaques that I heard about. And those doing the study would throw rice out on the beach so the macaques would have to come out where those observing could see them interact. Getting sand out of wet rice is a rough task and they all would spend a lot of time for not much rice that still had a lot of sand.

Most interesting, it was a young female that realized that sand was heavier than rice and washed in salt water tasted better. Now everyone in the troop could see very well what she was doing from the first, but she was the lowest in the pecking order in the troop and while those babies on her level picked up the habit, it took a very long time (years?) to spread through the troop, Such is the effect of culture. :roll_eyes: Babies learn from adults (rarely the other way around) and like cracking nuts it may take years of trying to get the hang of it, while other troops do not take advantage of the resource, but be it potatoes or rice.

This is one way to do a hexagon that others would not copy without making proof obvious. Not the best imaginable but there are billions more each equally unique.

hex-1.svg-path2429-287

1 Like

And yet they never end up with a square array that would be just as likely if stacking round holes :grin:

2 Likes

The wax cylinders are drawn out in a hexagonal close packed array, not a cubic
array. Cubic array would take too much wax and the wax is metabolically expensive to make. Surface tension does the rest.

3 Likes

So hexagonal packing is preferred. Ant it is not just bees, the hexagons are everywhere and usually for the same reason of best interior space per area of wall that can be packed, Even evenly packed bubbles of the same size do hexagons…

2 Likes

Lovely! And I wouldn’t have thought about earrings blowing around at a market. Good advice.

1 Like

That would require Unobtanium, and I haven’t quite figured out how to make it in my GF.
Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 12.27.23 PM

1 Like

I have some in a jar in my basement. Want me to send you a little? I can’t! Ha! If someone gives you Unobtanium, it transforms in to the less useful “Obtanium” type. Sorry. :wink:

7 Likes

Unobtanium is easy to make on a Glowforge, 1/4 cup of Peanut butter, mixed with CBD oil, laser at 70/400 - till bubling, then remove - let cool, AWESOME ON TOAST!

1 Like

How many lines per inch? Does the recipe work with crunchy PB?

1 Like

I only know lines per inch on cocaine recipes

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

@Deleted didnt Milton Berle also say that about jokes? Oh, right, he stole it too! :rofl:

1 Like