Christmas Ornament

Wow, I need this! Would be super great for painting minis too!

What a great project! I’ve got all of the materials handy already, wanting to merge the A & C style with steampunk elements, just waiting on the :glowforge:

2 Likes

I really like how those turned out. I may have to try some of those 3D assembly jigs for some future projects :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow. This is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing in such detail.

1 Like

Don’t know how I missed this one…it’s gorgeous! (And spurs a bunch of ideas!) Great job! :smiley:

1 Like

Such a beautiful picture. I especially like the detail on the leaves. How did you get the veins to look so realistic? :relaxed:

3 Likes

The wife is the artist. I’m the tech guy. She used one of those window screen spline tools and painstakingly created each vein.

She has more patience than I. Notice the individual feathers.

38 Likes

Wow, did she sketch the owl? That’s fantastic! (She is an artist!) :relaxed:

6 Likes

Let your wife know that is a beautiful drawing.

5 Likes

Absolutely amazingly beautiful!!!

5 Likes

Now that is gorgeous!

3 Likes

Without exception, artists have the ability to visualize with crystal clearity what they are after.
Not sure, but I think one is born with that.

Her work is excellent!

5 Likes

Stained glass in a church window would be done with lead. different process than copper foil. Think of a lead I-beam that the glass fits into.

I have done a lot of copper foil over the years. Electrical tape works great to hold parts together when soldering. it is stretchy and doesn’t leave a lot of residue to clean off later. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

My dad had a saying that I’ve used. “When making a carving of an elephant it’s simple, you just cut away everything that doesn’t look like an elephant”. Simple yes, but we do tend to over complicate, and most artistic types can explain how they can see the elephant hiding in there when everyone else sees a wooden egg. Ha

9 Likes

I believe it was Michelangelo (maybe) who said something about the stone having a sculpture waiting in it, and his job was to set it free…

6 Likes

So pretty! Also, I love owls :smiley:

1 Like

@printolaser Everyone is creative, and the tools of an artist can be taught. If you can learn to write, you can learn to draw. BUT like any other skill it takes practice. Lots and lots of practice.

@whitetigertooth Well… the more times you take a wooden egg and carve it into an elephant the easier it is to see the elephant inside of it. There is a story that I just love of an artist who was famed through out China. The Emperor commissioned him to do the perfect drawing of a Koi fish. The artist accepted and said it would take a year. The year passed and the Emperor went to the artist to collect the commissioned art. The artist upon seeing the Emperor got out a fresh piece of paper, clean new brushes and inks and drew the most spectacular Koi the Emperor had ever seen in less than 5 minutes. Overjoyed at the work the Emperor then asked a question. “If it only took 5 minutes to do that drawing, why did you need a whole year?” The artist then walked over to a cabinet and opened the doors. flying out where hundreds upon hundreds of drawings. Then the artist said “It took over a year to learn how to draw the perfect Koi in only 5 minutes”

There are some other wonderful artist parables to be found in china, but I think this one is my favorite… it shows how dedication and perseverance will give you any skill you lack.

22 Likes

But then I need to start all over again when I want to find the flower in the wood :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t disagree skills can be learned, but some exhibit an innate propensity starting out.

Exactly. Some need to learn how, others find it natural - and practice makes everyone better.

4 Likes

17 Likes